FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring P2 Media through PCMIA

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat.hayes
Transferring P2 Media through PCMIA
on Nov 22, 2007 at 8:04:09 pm

1.) Can I use an old Win XP notebook just to transfer P2 media from the HVX-200 to the desktop that could later be copied to an external drive and to a Macpro for ingesting? Are there any issues with doing this?

2.) If so, will I just then copy the P2 media to the Macpro and use Log and Capture to ingest the file into FCP?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Transferring P2 Media through PCMIA
on Nov 23, 2007 at 5:35:34 pm

Yes and yes- though I would be quite careful and use verified copying to make sure everything's coming across.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

kat.hayes
on Nov 23, 2007 at 10:45:18 pm

1. Is there anything in particular that I should be "careful" of?

2. What is "verified copying?" I planned to put the P2 card into the PCMIA slot of the old XP notebook and just access it through My Computer and drag it to a folder on the notebook's desktop.

Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 24, 2007 at 7:13:59 pm

There are programs you can get on the PC that actually do backups or making a disc image with verification. This is key so you know the copy is actually complete and good. I've not been an active PC user for years so this may already be a function of the included copy utilities in Windows- just not sure.

Noah

Return to posts index

Barry Green
on Nov 24, 2007 at 8:22:07 pm

[kat.hayes] "1. Is there anything in particular that I should be "careful" of?"

Write-protect the cards before you put 'em in the computer. And copy EVERYTHING. Don't cherry-pick and copy individual files, copy all the files and their associated directory structures.

And do *not* rename the CONTENTS folder, or any folder within it!

[kat.hayes] "2. What is "verified copying?" I planned to put the P2 card into the PCMIA slot of the old XP notebook and just access it through My Computer and drag it to a folder on the notebook's desktop."

You can do that, but Panasonic recommends using P2CMS to do the copying. That way you'll guarantee that you're getting all the directory structures properly copied, etc. Plus, P2CMS can be set to do a "verified" copy (where it goes out and compares, bit-for-bit, the copy against the original to make sure you got an absolutely accurate copy).

Return to posts index

kat.hayes
on Nov 24, 2007 at 9:27:12 pm

What is "P2CMS to do the copying?"

Thanks guys!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 24, 2007 at 10:23:18 pm

P2CMS:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sales_o/p2/cms/index.html

-Noah

Return to posts index

Putchfilms
on Dec 29, 2007 at 10:33:55 pm

Noah,

i transferred my P2 clips the old fashioned way and put each card in its own folder which contained a last clip and the contents folder. all is well.

however i noticed on your DVD that you can use the P2CMS to ingest clips and make them independent of the lastclip biz and thereby giving each clip its own folder.

If i ingest those folders again and archive them to DVD which now i would be able to. Will FCP be able to find those files if the folder structure is now different from how i brought them in originally?

the fact that P2CMS puts clips in their own folder makes it now possible to archive them to dvd since I cannot fit an entire card on a DVD currently.

thanks for the DVD and your guru ness.
John Putch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]