FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone using DLT, SDLT, LTO for archiving?

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
Anyone using DLT, SDLT, LTO for archiving?
on Nov 5, 2007 at 11:30:27 pm

Want to find the most cost-effective route to archive onto data tape from OSX.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola
Panasonic HPX500

Return to posts index

Mariusz_NYC
Re: Anyone using DLT, SDLT, LTO for archiving?
on Nov 6, 2007 at 12:07:58 am

I was doing research and LTO is fastest. I just got it and like it a lot.
Email me offboard and I will let you know how is it working. I did not use it a lot yet so I don't have strong opinion to share on public forums yet. I will do it sometime soon though ;)

Mariusz

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 6, 2007 at 2:22:18 am

Couldn't find your email anywhere.... Editingfx@gmail.com here...

Wondering about such things as:
- is a database of what's on the tape stored on the tape, so that the tape could be read from any system with compatible drive?
- is the software cross-platform? does the same software need to be used for retrieval?
- what are the differences between using DLT, SDLT & LTO?
- anything else I didn't know to ask?

Return to posts index

dregenthal
on Nov 6, 2007 at 4:48:09 am

I have been using LTO-2 (and now LTO-3) for the past 18 months with the HVX200. I have had zero issues (losses) to date.

I do not know if there is cross-platform software. I use Yosemite Backup on an XP Pro workstation. As far as I know (haven't tried) you can set it to store the catalog on the tape, but I think it would probably still have to be read-in by the same software on a different machine.

LTO is faster than the others--LTO-3 will backup a couple hundred gigs an hour. It is probably a more widely accepted (and long standing) means of tape backup (think banking industry, department of defense, etc.)

LTO-3 drives are backwards compatable (read/write) with LTO-2 tapes.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 6, 2007 at 8:58:43 pm

We looked at DLT-S4 because of tape cost vs. size. We finally decided to just go with hard drives because the cost of drives is dropping so quickly. So we buy two hard drives and keep them in separate locations.

-Russ

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 7, 2007 at 12:37:40 am

I don't feel secure for the long term using HDDs sitting on a shelf. Prefer a format that's rated for shelf-life.

Return to posts index

Matt Gottshalk
on Nov 7, 2007 at 3:23:06 pm

I agree, HDs are NOT long term archiving solutions, they WILL fail.Anyone who relies on them for anything other than a MID-TERM solution will eventually get bit.

I'm going to spring for the Quantum DLT-600a, since it has Gig-E and is MXF aware.

Return to posts index

edit
by
on Nov 7, 2007 at 3:30:05 pm

Your concern for hard drives sitting on the shelve is good to have. I have a drawer full of removable hard drives, quick access and lots of gigs. But just recently trying to retreive info from one of our stored drives failed. It would not mount or even spin up (even in different inclosures) That is why I try to always copy the important stuff to two removable drives.

On the other side of the coin, I also have drawers full of Syquest 80mb drive cartridges from the '90's with great archived graphics on them. But no operating drive and no current driver software. Anybody know how to download Syquest drives using OSX ?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Nov 7, 2007 at 3:31:54 pm

We've started to use a Bluray burner

Discs are abut $12 for 25 GB

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:16:09 pm

Blu-ray = too slow, too small. Now that we're using P2, the media archival goes WAY over 25/50 in a hurry.

I'd think that with the WIDE use of LTO in business IT, it should be compatible for a long time. And I'd be happy with maybe 10 years - enough time for a really large, cheap, fast archival medium to arrive.

But I guess I'd need to use Retrospect to create the archives.... (?)

Return to posts index

NSHEX1
on Nov 29, 2007 at 3:59:09 pm

Hi,
I am facing similar problem. a client i work for need to a. backup of what i daily work with (3-4 hour long dvhdv projects, 30k+ imagebank, 150gb of music),

b. archive of all sort of tapes, from umatic to digibeta and hdv, hi8, audio tapes and what not.
now, this is a grate client ($$) and his data is of critical value (his definition ; not a dropped frame in a hundred years).
i have been digging a lot, and a non-final solution is such;
a. work on raid1, since i don't need much speed for dv and hdv, with extra backup on external drive(*1), using lto3 for imagebank + audio backup (since it doesnt change too often).
outcome is my work is secured by raid1 + external + tape, common media by raid1 + tape.
now, for archiving the tapes, these things always fade into debate on dieing formats, hardware and os. lto and dlt tapes has the best longevity in those terms due to their IT usage, high cost and volumes. lto4 gets to 1.6tb (thats 2:1, expect 800-1100 for video).
my plan out of this equation?
build a basic system that can ingest and output to as many formats as possible, and last for the next 5-10 years, then it's just a matter of hardware upgrade, since the softwaredata can be upgraded progressively.
a light-weight mac pro with a capture card, some local storage but not much, lto4 drive and some dry storage cabinets.
i digitize all the masters, then dub then to a common format like dv, keep them in dry cabinets, digitized stuff goes on lto tape (i didnt do the math, but 800gb per tape is much) and into dry cabinets. lto has another grate feature that video tape doesnt have; error correction. you cam cut off 30mm of tape and still be fine. video has little to none error correction. another thing, once i digitized them, quality is retained. i was planing on using the raw qt captures, maybe someone has a better idea?
then, at some point in the future, another freelance will have to find a way to convert all these ancien qt 7.3 files to something usable, but that is better then trying to find a 30 years old ntsc umatic player in a pal region.

Return to posts index

kevinB
on Dec 2, 2007 at 12:15:44 am

You don't have to use proprietary software to transfer files to the Quantum LTO-3A tape drive (or the SDLT model, for that matter). LTO is much faster and the tapes have a larger capacity. We're just using the Transmit FTP application on our Mac network, Quantum also has a built-in web interface you can use if you'd rather. You can read the files on the tapes on any computer, PC or Mac, that is connected to the drive on the network.

Return to posts index

NSHEX1
on Dec 2, 2007 at 6:47:14 am

my concern is the database. assuming i digitize all my aging umatics and digis etc., so now i take those qt files and put them back on lto tape. what kind of database do i have to tell me where a specific clip might be? anyone done these things? know a good osx app to create and maintain a clip-tape relation database?
i was using tepx on a pc, but it is annoying like hell.
maybe an app that keeps a preview and description, and then can tell me on which tape i can find and how the file is called? could use bar-code on the tapes, webcams can scan these things.
any ideas?

Return to posts index

Peter Barrett
on Dec 18, 2007 at 11:29:36 pm

We've just bought an HP LTO-4 for the purpose, using Retrospect on Macs and the supplied drivers on PCs. I'm intrigued by the Quantum "MXF-aware" argument - does that mean something happens to native MXF files on other drives? Surely not... or just that the Quantum drives can deduce a database from the included metadata?

Quad G5/NVidia Quadro/Kona LHe/Infortrend RAID/Final Touch HD 2.6.1 & Color/FCP 6.0.2/OS X 10.4..11

Return to posts index

Robert Broussard
on Feb 12, 2008 at 3:30:36 am

Peter, Bob and others...

Please tell us about your new LTO4 drive. How much data backing up? What software? Mac or Windows OS? How much compression on video files?

Thanks,

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]