FORUMS: list search recent posts

1394 port stopped working

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wedowee
1394 port stopped working
on Sep 13, 2007 at 5:48:18 am

My 1394 port stopped working the other day. When I try to use the Firestore, or if I try to offline the P2 cards to the Mac, they are not seeing the camera. It was working one moment, then not working the next. The PC MODE is set to 1394 DEVICE, and I have tried two different cables (one brand new). When pressing Record (twice, the first is a Record-Pause), it no longer shows the icon in the HVX viewfinder. The only way for me to get the P2 footage off of the camera is by using the USB cable and a PC, then copying the CONTENTS folder (then transferring it to the Mac for editing). CONTROL is set to EXT, but also does not work in OFF, BOTH, or CHAIN. Could I have a faulty port, and do you know where someone fixes these cameras? Thanks a bunch.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 1394 port stopped working
on Sep 13, 2007 at 10:40:29 am

Sounds like a camera that needs repair. Where is here?

Noah

Return to posts index

wedowee
on Sep 13, 2007 at 4:09:56 pm

Las Vegas

Thanks

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Sep 14, 2007 at 7:46:08 am

When my 1394 port started to be flaky it turned out to be that the firewire cable was broke....

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 2/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel
http://www.koolendeanderen.nl

Return to posts index

wedowee
on Sep 14, 2007 at 10:13:01 am

I've tried a new cable also, no go for me.

Return to posts index

techcow
on Sep 23, 2007 at 8:14:13 pm

Is it perhaps a new iMac? The black/metal one?

I also have this issues with P2 firewire on new iMacs.

Not on any other mac.

a normal DV camera works fine right? or any other firewire device.

It's just the camera keeps saying disconnect right?

Return to posts index

wedowee
on Sep 23, 2007 at 8:47:53 pm

Sorry, the problem I'm having is on a Mac Pro tower, and a year-old MacBook. I've also connected it to my PC, and it won't read from there either (is supposed to show up as a new drive letter, but doesn't). Thanks.

Return to posts index

James Brady
on Apr 30, 2009 at 9:42:12 pm

Did anyone ever figure this one out? Our studio is having the same issue with our firewire equipment. Our HVX200/FS-100 combo mysteriously stopped working as well... then we noticed other items failing. It's like a 1394 virus!

Testing on several NLE's concludes that IEEE 1394 output has failed on the following equipment in our studio:

Panasonic HVX200
Sony HVR-M10U Deck
Sony DSR-11 deck

We also have a Sony HVR-Z1U and GV-D300 Deck... these still work, but we have no explanation for the others. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 30, 2009 at 9:43:13 pm

[James Brady] "Testing on several NLE's concludes that IEEE 1394 output has failed on the following equipment in our studio: "

Ok
how are you testing this stuff?

these are smart devices that need to be turned off before plugging them in, is someone in your office has not bothered to treat them correctly it could be that your host has a fried FW port.

have you tried them on multiple computers?
have you tried testing with a 3rd party card?

FW carries power also and if you are sloppy about the connection yes you can fry the port.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

James Brady
on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:16:33 pm

[gary adcock] "FW carries power also and if you are sloppy about the connection yes you can fry the port."

This is a grim prospect.

Does this mean the device must necessarily be turned off before its firewire cable is removed? ...and is this to include shutting down the workstation on the other end of the FW cable as well?

[gary adcock] "Ok
how are you testing this stuff?"

We have tested video capture from every device on each of four different NLEs with the same result. In fact, video capture and deck control aside, the workstations don't even recognize that a FW device has been plugged in.

I'm starting to suspect your power-down theory.

Return to posts index

jason greene
on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:38:45 pm

It eventually worked after disconnecting the FW400 4-pin portion of the cable from the camera, and reconnecting it over and over, about twenty times. The record pause indicator showed up in the monitor. We swapped cables and still experienced it, but finally were at a place where once it shows the indicator, we do not bump the camera at all. Makes it difficult for handheld operation though. A friend looked at it and said the port on the camera doesn't hold the cable well, and that it could be replaced. He ordered the camera manual (not the normal instructional manual, but the geek version that has all of the boards, components, soldering parts, etc.) and will be swapping out this part soon. It's a relatively cheap part.

Return to posts index

James Brady
on May 1, 2009 at 5:57:04 pm

[gary adcock] "FW carries power"

It was my understanding that only the 6-pin configuration carried power... which is why all 4-pin devices have their own separate power supply. All of the problem devices described above are 4-pin devices. Could their 4-pin ports be affected by power coming through the 6-pin connector on the other end of the cable?!? (i.e., from the computer, from the FS-100).

James Brady
Senior Editor
Results Video & Animation
El Paso, Texas
http://www.resultsvideo.com

Return to posts index

James Brady
on May 4, 2009 at 9:48:53 pm

Well, just to update for anyone else following this thread:

I'm still troubleshooting, but further research indicates that if the pins on the 6-pin side of a 4 to 6-pin cable get cross-connected, the cable can send power back down the pipe where it shouldn't be.

Another, more likely possibility, is that the port itself has withsood a physical jolt, or years of wear that finally have disconnected it just enough from the board to stop working.

Either way, it seems that the next logical step is to open some cases and have a look around.

James Brady
Senior Editor
El Paso, Texas

Return to posts index

Nick Delfino
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:54:00 am

so i had the same issue the FW port on my HVX 200a will not recognize the FS-100 but if I plug the FW camera to computer to dump the P2 card the connection is recognized via the pc /dub setup. If it fried then would it work at all?

Nick Delfino
nick@bbe-la.com
(310) 420-6211

Return to posts index

James Brady
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:18:55 pm

Nick:
I'd say no. Ours stopped working with both the FS-100 and via PC/DUB. Sounds like you may have a different issue. Double-check your menu settings for both the camera and the firestore.

James Brady
Senior Editor
El Paso, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]