FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow ideas/suggestions...???

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mrshow555
workflow ideas/suggestions...???
on Jul 9, 2007 at 6:47:30 pm

So the office I work in is shooting a doc type Discovery channel style TV show. They're shooting on the HVX with P2/FireStore. They want to set up a server that can hold all of our footage that we've shot and will shoot so it's accessible to any of the 3 editing bays in the office. What's the best way to do this? It seems liek it's going to take up A LOT of space and cost a ton. Is there a way to edit P2 footage offline and do an online edit later? Or would we have to take each clip in say Compressor and downgrade the qulaity and re-save them?

Open to suggestions.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: workflow ideas/suggestions...???
on Jul 9, 2007 at 7:28:31 pm

You need shared storage that is accessable on 3 edit stations? OK then, you are looking at a SAN solution. First off you'll need a Fibrechannel RAID array as your storage (XServe, Ciprico, G-Speed). Then you'll need multi-seat SAN solutions like XSAN, MetaSAN, SANmp...others. You would be VERY wise to find a SAN reseller and have them set up the network.

This won't be cheap...BTW.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 9, 2007 at 11:14:03 pm

i know i'm going to get countered on this, but here's a suggestion. in our office, we have all of our Macs (Xsan editing systems and non-Xsan towers and laptops) connected via a Gigabit Ethernet network. we have our P2 footage loaded on the Xsan RAID drives. for logging, our laptops running FCP access the P2 footage on the Xsan drives through the Gigabit Network (via the Metadata Controller). for logging and simple editing of 720p clips, the Gigabit Network can keep up just fine. at 1080i (DVCPRO HD), the Gigabit Network starts to hiccup and drop frames. for small projects that can be done on a laptop (DVD Extras, Web video, etc), our editors will gather all the footage from the Xsan they need onto a FCP timeline, then media manage that timeline to a Firewire 800 drive for local editing.

so if you are looking for NAS (network attached storage) to hold all of your footage, the above will work, but you will need high-speed local drives for your systems. but if you need constant high speed access to a single array, NAS will not work and you'll need to look at a SAN solution as Shane mentioned. it can be very expensive, so i thought i would throw out the above suggestion.

Return to posts index

mattjgerard
on Jul 11, 2007 at 8:21:30 pm

We have 3 edit suites all linked on a gigabit network. I can open project on another editor's xraid (fibre channel to HIS computer) and edit the project over the network. Mostly DVCPRO50 footage, so no problem. Only hiccups once in a great while. Now, on the other had, i tried to open a motion project over the network, forget it. useless.

Not for everyday editing, but it works for us when one editor is busy, and a show on thier system needs just a couple of tweaks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]