FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 & the PC - preferred editing software

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markford Astina
P2 & the PC - preferred editing software
on May 28, 2007 at 10:33:00 am

Hey all,

I've only ever used macs to edit P2. I'm pretty happy with the workflow and am very comfortable with the whole deal.

My main 'petpeeve' about it is that the new core2duo Macbook Pros don't come with a PCMCIA slot so that you could transfer the footages/data from the P2 card straight to your awaiting fw hds unlike the old Powerbooks.

PC laptops however do have PCMCIA slots on their core2duo models.

That said:

What is your preferred PC software to edit P2 materials?

And with that I'm guessing I would need to download the DvcproHD codec for PC too right?

How's the workflow as compared to the mac?

Anything I should look out for?

At this moment I haven't decided to switch to the PC laptops as of yet, am still trying to get a hold of a 2nd powerbook for field use.

But am seriously considering the PC laptops especially now that they have core2duo processors and vista (which am thinking is powerful enough to lessen the glitches that pcs are known for).

Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Saraceno
Re: P2 & the PC - preferred editing software
on May 28, 2007 at 2:36:31 pm

There is no DVCProHD codec for Windows that you can download.

You would have to buy something like Raylight.

Two things, duel systems makes a PC Card to ExpressCard/34 adapter for ingesting p2 cards.

On the PC, Edius Broadcast is a well know NLE for p2 use.

Return to posts index

Markford Astina
on May 28, 2007 at 6:59:13 pm

Is the Duel Systems PCMCIA card adapter available in the market now?

Have you worked with these?

If so how was it?

Thanks heaps.

Return to posts index

David Saraceno
on May 29, 2007 at 3:20:40 pm

Yes it is.

Just google the name.

Return to posts index

adeath
on May 29, 2007 at 3:06:37 pm

I currently use a P2 store to copy over P2 content to my 15" macbookpro. Shane Ross has a mention in his blog and there is review somewhere in this forum about a device that uses the PCI Express slot and converts to PCMCIA Card reader. Here is the link http://lfhd.blogspot.com/2007/03/p2-card-adapter-now-available-for_07.html#... Looks like from the info on the vendors site they run about $120.00. If it works definitley worth the price.

Return to posts index

hhv_pro
on May 29, 2007 at 11:19:44 pm

From my experience if it's P2/Docpro/50/HD or HDV stay away from Adobe. After deciding to switch to Avid media composer(software only) I've been very happy. Although initially it was little harder to get use to Avid software interface, now nothing is going to convince me otherwise.
Before buying check out link from Panasonic's any P2 camcorder support and resources site, which talks about the P2 workflow with different softwares, then decide which will work best for you.

Return to posts index

MHancock (promoboy)
on May 30, 2007 at 12:46:34 am

Edius offers P2 support but I think it's painful to edit with.

Avid offer P2 support and I prefer it as an editor. With their latest release, Xpress Pro 5.7 or Media Composer 2.7 (now software only--Adrenaline hardware optional), you can read and write to P2 cards.

We only have one P2 camera and I haven't gotten my hands on it yet so I can't tell you workflow issues (if any) for either edit system, but one of our guys uses it regularly with Edius and it seems to work well for him. I personally don't like Edius as an editor, though, so I don't recommend that route.

Michael.

Return to posts index

Peter Yiannos
on Apr 26, 2017 at 2:38:29 am

also use a p2 camera (that's all i have) when I had access to prem pro I was able to edit and have sound etc. MXF converters only convert the video but dont allow me to access the sound.Using a pc with sony movie studio 12(not best but only doing basic stuff at times). Can I use the p2 footage& sound ? Is there a converter that recognises all the files?
Edius or avid or is there a panasonic product that is free or inexpensive that allows us to edit our footage.Does anyone know what Panasonic had in mind when creating the camera, which was great for its price, but what editing system was it made for?
Thanks for any ideas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]