FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX-200 and Glidecam 4000

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff@HLV
HVX-200 and Glidecam 4000
on Mar 10, 2007 at 10:53:59 pm

Anyone have any experience using the HVX-200 and Glidecam 4000 hand-held stablizer? If so, any good bad comments?

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
Re: HVX-200 and Glidecam 4000
on Mar 11, 2007 at 1:24:07 pm

I have used one at NAB for about 3-4 minutes and depending on your strength that about the limit you can carry one before your arm clamps up. Loss of stamina results in loss of stability.

It's cheap and provides a semi stable shot but dont expect it to be like a steadicam. You will have a hard time keeping a good horizon,there is little or no dynamic balancing and you have to have an on board lcd.

On the positive side unlike a steadicam, you dont have to spend 6K-60K and the learning curve is a lot shorter.

Hope it helps,

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe production studio.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

Tony Cope
on Mar 11, 2007 at 3:06:24 pm

Has anyone tried the Glidecam with the vest mount? Would that compare to a steadycam?

Actually, I purchased a simple telescoping monopod, and use it for a fairly smooth handheld shot. Also, I found that if I support the camera with fingertips from both hands on the bottom of the camera, and let the monopod be a counter-balance, it helps with keeping the horizon decent, and prevents the drifts I got when using one hand on the pole. (First time I've written that statement on a legitimate web site...)

Anyway... I've been wanting to try out the Glidecam with the vest, but it's not very easy to come by - and the rental cost almost makes it worth just buying regardless.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Mar 11, 2007 at 5:33:25 pm

Studio magazine just reviewed Glidecam, Steadicam & Artemis DV Pro. Good article. Last month's. They leaned towards Artemis as best bang for the buck.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
http://www.CoolNewMedia.net
Quantel-Avid-FCP-3D-Crayola

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekci
on Mar 11, 2007 at 9:18:58 pm

I have tried the Glidecam (gold series) and I would definitely recommend Steadicam over it. Depending on what you need to do with it I would rather spent $35K and get something like Clipper 2 over anything thats out on the market but is $10K less. It's worth the investment.

Also on the lower end I think Steadicam flyer out preforms them all. Even though the artemis got the best bang for the buck it has a MAJOR flaw that was not mentioned in the article. They have added a twist release to the gimble to adjust the drop which is great because it's tools free. BUT as I was taught many years ago and I teach my students today; the most vulnerable time in setting up is during the drop adjustment in which the artemis forces you to take your hand of the camera to release the lock. This exposes your rig to a fatal drop should anything be loose or forgotten. Many is a time I have seen fellow operators almost drop their rig only to be saved by their right hand which was holding on to the camera( and closely watched by their spotter.)It happens even to the most disciplined operators.

I would recommend anybody who wants to learn to be an operator to take classes and never ever attempt to run a big rig without training. A spill will break your rig and your bones.

My preference:

Big Rigs ($25-$60K)
1-Steadicam
2-Sacthler
3-Glidecam

Small Rigs:($6-$15K)
1-Steadicam
2-Artemis (sachtler)
3-Glidecam

Cheers,

Emre
http://www.productionpit.com
Boxx Tech PC, dual-dual AMD 2.0,4BG ram,Avidexpress HD w/Mojo,UVW-1800,DSR-25, Adobe production studio.

"Creative cow is udder madness."

Return to posts index

Greg
by
on Mar 12, 2007 at 5:49:47 pm

I own and regularly use the Glidecam SmoothShooter/4000 and a Glidecam V-25 stabilizer. I use the Smooth Shooter/4000 combination with an HVX-200 camera on fashion videos where I shoot for 5 days and wear the unit for hours at a time. I find it to work very well and find that this setup gives me the ability to shoot for extented periods of time without fatigue, and my shots are very compelling. On other retail training productions, I find myself using the Glidecam V-25 almost exclusively. I shoot b-roll and other items like sales scenarios with it and then add a PeoplePrompter teleprompter to the sled, with the HVX-200 for narration shots. It adds a sense of realism to what could be an otherwise static and boring shot. I find my target audience, which is High School through post College age people responde very well to this technique. I feel the Glidecam products are unmatched when you really look at price/performance and give the best "bang-for-the-buck" in the industry.

Greg

Return to posts index

HHV_Pro
on Mar 14, 2007 at 11:30:57 pm

After spending the money, time to learn and based on my experience I would NOT recommand Glidecam 4000 to any one.
Stick to proven one or built your own for lot cheaper.

Return to posts index

Jeff@HLV
on Mar 16, 2007 at 4:28:08 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I was really looking at the 4000 without any vest/stablizer. Just trying to find out if it would be a low cost improvement to my hand-held work. If the right job comes along to invest I may look into it. Thanks again for the feedback.

Return to posts index

Jeff@HLV
on Mar 17, 2007 at 6:06:41 pm

One more, any one had experience with the Merlin by Steadicam?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]