FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advantage of MXF

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naveen Mallikarjuna
Advantage of MXF
on Dec 5, 2006 at 4:14:25 pm

What exactly is the advantage of using the MXF format vs. using AVI (or another format) at HD resolution?

We've go the HVX200 and are using PPro on an Axio.

Why not just convert to AVI (or say on a Mac, Quicktime) to be compatible with other apps that may not yet support MXF? Is MXF really necessary?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Advantage of MXF
on Dec 5, 2006 at 4:19:46 pm

[Naveen Mallikarjuna] "Why not just convert to AVI (or say on a Mac, Quicktime) to be compatible with other apps that may not yet support MXF?"

Final Cut Pro does convert the MXF files to Quicktime files for use in editing. And you can use Raylight to convert to AVI files.

Shane

Littlefrog Post
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 5, 2006 at 6:19:38 pm

You will most likely convert the files to whatever your NLe likes to edit with. That's why the native files are MXF so that every type of system can read them and convert or do what they want with them. If the files were native avi's, then macs would have a tough time editing and they would not be optimized files, if the files were native quicktime, PCs couldn't edit them at all since the DVCPRo HD quicktime codec is not available of PCs. The MXF structure is a common denominator between all platforms.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Naveen Mallikarjuna
on Dec 5, 2006 at 8:49:25 pm

I see. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks much for the response. I'm on an Axio LE. Can't wait for 2.5 so I won't have to buy Raylight...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]