FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get an HVX for a feature film in Januarary? Please help urgent!

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Miles
How to get an HVX for a feature film in Januarary? Please help urgent!
on Dec 12, 2005 at 5:06:50 am

Dear cow members and dealers of video equipment.
I am shooting a feature film in Janurary for 4 weeks and need to have an HVX-200 camera package in the first part of January. We start shooting Jan. 9th 2006. The date can not be pushed. Please help me get an HVX-200 camera and HD recording system. I prefer hard drive based DTE recording and small P2 cards and would be willing to share footage with a manufacturer. I have over 12 years of experience shooting and making professional videos, commercials & features and short films. Feel free to email me. (Anthony @ 4th wall tv and film . com)

Thanks for any help.
Anthony

Return to posts index

donatello
Re: How to get an HVX for a feature film in Januarary? Please help urgent!
on Dec 12, 2005 at 4:00:09 pm

call rental houses that rent the DVX100 (they probably have orders in on hxv) ...i believe most retailers have stated they are not expecting any orders to come in till Jan 5 ...

forget the DTE it's not going to happen by Jan 9 ..

money SPEAKS !!! find a dealer that knows they have one coming in on Jan 5 and offer them 2X the price and one just may move you to top of list ... IMO if you're expecting a dealer to get you one just because you are shooting a feature FORGET IT !!! i would say you didn't plan aheead .. panasonic said they would deliver by end of year so you should have put a deposit ( refundable) on one ...

i know you can get one from a individual by Jan 9 if you offer 2-3X the price !! or a very high $$ rental offer ! $$ speaks more then 12 years experience etc

till you decide to put some $$$ offers - i suggest you plan to use a different camera ...

Return to posts index

Harry
on Dec 12, 2005 at 5:21:26 pm

I think you're going to have a hard time. These Panasonic folks have continually pushed back the release date of this camera. At a seminar the other day I asked about availability, given that I am high on the list at a well known LA sales house. I was told that although the release date is right now ("available now" were the words) I would not be in the running until "sometime in January".

Also 8 gig P2 cards are not going to be available for some time. They are pushing the 4 gig cards.

I've given up on this camera as I too have a feature coming up on Feb 13th. I'b buying the Canon XL H1 instead which really is available right now and I think is a better camer and lens for the money. Check it out. I thought the results, projected onto a 15 ft screen, were in fact slightly better than the P2.

Best

H.

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Dec 12, 2005 at 5:32:41 pm

Harry wrote:I've given up on this camera as I too have a feature coming up on Feb 13th. I'b buying the Canon XL H1 instead which really is available right now and I think is a better camer and lens for the money. Check it out. I thought the results, projected onto a 15 ft screen, were in fact slightly better than the P2.

Unfortunately for you Harry, you are making your decision based on what you saw, and that is the only 24F footage you saw was recorded on the DVCPRO HD codec and you never saw the HDV with 24F codec. So as long as you are going use the $26,000 deck to go with that H1, then you should experience results like those they were showing in their booth at DV Expo.

However it seemed from where I stood, that the low light was limiting to the H1 and it still had a very videoish look to it. I would encourage you to take a closer look in your own hands and record the HDV with the 24F and then see if it really comes close to the HVX200. I think if you did, you would know what everyone else knows, and that is DVCPRO HD is a better format for the production half of the equation.

As far as availability of the camera we are shipping the camera in Decemeber and they should be available shortly thereafter. Fortunately for those guys that put in pre-orders, they will be first on the list, but some may not have their money together and the first pass through the list may happen quickly, but I would say that by the end of January we should be pretty close to meeing all backorders that have been presold.

Best regards,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, AG-DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Gary Taylor
on Dec 12, 2005 at 6:57:09 pm

Hi Jan,
I am really excited about the HVX-200 and once there are some DTE solutions available I am planning on getting one. And it looks they should be available right at about the time you are getting through your backlog.

I thought the Italian footage Canon displayed at the conference was shot in HDV and then edited in DVCPRO HD. If this is true, don't you think should be representative of what Harry could expect? Not saying it looked as good as the HVX-200 but from what I heard it did look really good.

Of course like you said, I personally plan to get try out any camera that expensive before I buy it. I see myself buying both camera although for different applications.
Gary

Return to posts index

Harry
on Dec 12, 2005 at 8:12:29 pm

Jan,

In fact I did see the Canon with HDV with 24F codec. About half the shots projected on Saturday were HDV with their wierd 24F thingy ... unless those guys were telling a blatent lie to the audience. However, I asked twice.

In addition actually stuck a tape in the Canon camera and shot some myself in the Birns and Sawyer building site and reviewed it on that 30 inch monitor they had there. I did super fast pans and things to trick the GOP and my untrained eye was unable to spot the "catch up" effect on action shots which is a big deal on HDV. I really tried too. Recorded and reviewed two solid minutes of zip panning at various speeds and then stopping dead.

I do not want to be the bad guy here. My real problem over your beautiful HVX200 is reliability of availability and the fact that, as I heard from you on Saturday, 8 gig cards are not around for the forseeable future.

It's clearly a smashing camera. My response was specifically to the guy on this board who needed a camera on January 8th, or something, and my advice to him was, basically, not to hold his breath.

You, Jan, are clearly a hyper intelligent and ultra charming mega-being from the planet Zog and I would never quibble with you about codecs and such. I'm sure HDV is garbage, as you clearly pointed out on Saturday.

Respectfully,

and thanking you for a great presentation on Saturday,

Harry.

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Dec 12, 2005 at 10:01:51 pm

Harry,

[Harry] "I'm sure HDV is garbage, as you clearly pointed out on Saturday."

Zing! Very drole. Although I doubt very much that Jan used the "garbage" word. (g)

Return to posts index

donatello
on Dec 13, 2005 at 12:59:22 am

"as long as you are going use the $26,000 deck to go with that H1"

i'm pretty sure you you could use the wafian hr1 recorder ( direct to disc = 18hrs) using the canon for $10,500 ( current price - reg price is 15K) ..

http://www.cineform.com/products/WafianHR1.htm

"Unfortunately for you Harry, you are making your decision based on what you saw"

we have to make our decision based on something !!!
and that is why some persons will buy canon and somebody else panasonic = based on what we see ...

i went to the show to see/buy the hvx200 BUT after seeing it i'm on hold .. based on what i saw at the show on seeing the hxv on 17" lcd's i saw a little too much noise .. so i'm on hold till i see the image on a larger screen .. i saw only a slight difference between 1080 and 720 (1080 little less noise and it didn't really seem to pick up resolution ??) but that could be because of the 720p lcd's ???? or could be based on the CCD's which are secret at the moment which is another whole story !

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Dec 13, 2005 at 3:22:22 am

Hi jan,

I read your welcome posts with great interest. Have you got a shipping ETA for Asia/Pacific PAL markets? I have a large job in March and would like to shoot on this camera if possible.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

anthony miles
on Dec 13, 2005 at 3:37:06 am

Thanks for the replys. Looks like the director isn't going to take my budget based advice and we will shoot on an f-900.

Best regards to all,
Anthony

Return to posts index

Jiri Vrozina
on Dec 13, 2005 at 4:58:57 am

At least Your Director has got some common sense.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Dec 14, 2005 at 4:34:47 pm

[Jiri Vrozina] "At least Your Director has got some common sense."

And the depth of pocket to actualize it.

David
AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Keyser
on Dec 20, 2005 at 11:46:05 pm

What?!?, no Varicam? ;)

Return to posts index

T Mathai
Talk about short prep time...
on Dec 13, 2005 at 6:34:48 am

Do you think you have enough time to test the HVX once you get it? I mean this isn't just a new camera, it's a whole new workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]