FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200/P2store

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Video Opp
HVX200/P2store
on Jul 30, 2005 at 10:51:06 pm

I just read over the brochure on the HVX200 and it looks like it is going to be a great cam! The DV record to tape will allow the camera to be used even on extended documentaries, but allow for easy switch to HD whenever you come across something that has "stock footage" value.

However, I am having a very hard time understanding why the P2Store device is limited to a 60G drive. Why not have a 300G drive in that thing?

Return to posts index

eLeventy
Re: HVX200/P2store
on Jul 30, 2005 at 11:06:29 pm

300Gb drives are 3.5inch desktop drives.

The 60Gb drive is a 2.5inch notebook drive.
They are more shock resistant, require less power, are smaller, but less Gb.

A month or so ago the 100 Gb notebook drive was released, so expect a 100Gb version soon, and even larger versions later.

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Aug 1, 2005 at 10:34:19 pm

still looks like an expensive way to go. I think Firestore will be coming out with some sort of hard drive that actually mounts on the camera allowing you to bypass the P2 cards all together.....

Return to posts index

Barry Green
on Aug 2, 2005 at 1:20:18 am

FireStore was one of the first "P2 Partners" that were recruited. It is highly anticipated that they will do exactly what you said, and that yes, that would allow users to bypass P2 cards if they want to.

-----------------
Get the most from your DVX camera. The DVX Book and DVX DVD are now available at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/dvxbook/ and at Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/54u4a)

Return to posts index

riley
on Aug 3, 2005 at 9:40:24 pm

i'd love to see firestore do a solution where you can bypass p2

Return to posts index

Barry Green
on Aug 4, 2005 at 8:18:30 am

That's exactly what they're planning on doing. And Serious Magic is planning on doing the same thing with a DVCPRO-HD-capable version of DV Rack -- they're talking to Panasonic now about providing that. There will be multiple ways to bypass P2 for those who aren't willing to use P2 recording.

-----------------
Get the most from your DVX camera. The DVX Book and DVX DVD are now available at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/dvxbook/ and at Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/54u4a)

Return to posts index

Blub
Re: HVX200/P2store, I wish...
by
on Aug 6, 2005 at 11:58:06 pm

There will be multiple ways to bypass P2 for those who aren't willing to use P2 recording.

I hope this is the case. Panasonic has been extremely forthcoming regarding the new 200 camera, but, I have not read a thing regarding Panasonic helping others get around the P2 thing, why would they? The reasons for Panasonic giving us such a close up look at their new camera is obvious, and we benefit from all those reasons.

But to my nose things smell odd when there has been no hard (public) commitments from any companies that might offer a P2 work around. This stark contrast between Panasonics openness and a virtual blackout on the P2 alternative makes me twitch. Something is wrong, after all, what interest does Panasonic have in making an ALTURNATRIVE to their new source of income?

Makers of other recording methods must concern themselves with relations with an important company like Panasonic. It might not be worth sacrificing this relationship with the money they are making now, for money they might end up paying to lawyers later. While I think everything is go with respect to the feasibility of recording on an ext hard drive, I wonder if Panasonic has given everyone a thumbs up for such a thing. Would you make and market a product that Panasonic had a problem with? A large company does not have to be too forceful in stopping you, the simple lack of technical data and support can send a convincing message. It might take months for the message to sink in but, in the end the message is singular.

The solution of course would be for some company, any company, to publicly offer details of their upcoming P2 workaround product.

I guess I sound paranoid, the other side of my coin is that I am hopeful that my paranoia is perhaps best left to the proper medication.

Chris

Return to posts index

Barry Green
on Aug 7, 2005 at 12:35:00 am

Panasonic has already recruited Focus to create a FireStore. Focus is a member of the "P2 Partners" program. Panasonic is talking with Serious Magic about making a DVCPRO-HD-capable version of DV Rack. Those statements are already public. And Panasonic has said that they are open to licensing the P2 technology to anyone who wants to use it.

And, obviously it's completely confirmed that there are at least three other ways to bypass P2: desktop or laptop running FCP-HD, desktop or laptop running Avid Express Pro HD, and direct-to-tape recording using the AJ-HD1200A deck.

I'm already aware of at least two different programs underway to engineer alternatives to P2, unrelated to all those that have been previously mentioned.

What's Panasonic's interest? Panasonic wants to sell CAMERAS. P2 sales would be nice, but the HVX is engineered to sell, regardless of whether they sell P2 cards or not. It's not like the razor 'n' blades argument. Most users will never need more than 2 (or maybe 3) P2 cards in their entire lives. The HVX isn't about selling P2 cards.

In fact, if you want to go further, it's been estimated that Panasonic manufactures 70% of the consumer DV tape market. If all they were concerned about was protecting their media division, wouldn't they have been the first to jump on the HDV bandwagon? That's a lot of tape they could keep making...

There are already at least three confirmed, functional alternatives to P2 on the market (FCP-HD, Avid HD, and HD1200A). There will be more.

-----------------

Return to posts index

Blub
by
on Aug 7, 2005 at 6:36:35 am

I guess we have batted this back and forth before. I don

Return to posts index

toke lahti
on Aug 8, 2005 at 4:20:34 pm

[Barry Green] "P2 sales would be nice, but the HVX is engineered to sell, regardless of whether they sell P2 cards or not."

Triple the pricesticker by inserting sd-cards to p2-enclosure might sound tempting bisnes, at least if you are going to sell more cards than cameras...
There might be even idea to sell cameras with zero profit to make huge profits with cards...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]