FORUMS: list search recent posts

HVX200 Editing Workflow for PC

COW Forums : Panasonic Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
danparsons
HVX200 Editing Workflow for PC
on Jul 7, 2005 at 3:36:53 pm

I'm curious what file types will be on the P2, say for the DVCPro50 and DVCPro100 footage - and will these be compatible with existing PC NLEs such as Premiere Pro?

Does anyone know of published articles that address these questions or have any information that would help.

My understanding is that Panasonic and Apple made an agreement a while back which enabled FCP to capture/edit/output HD via firewire (800 I'm assuming.)

Regardless of the validity of the above scenario, does/will a firewire workflow exist for editing HVX200 users who edit in a PC environment?

--Dan

Return to posts index

Barry Green
Re: HVX200 Editing Workflow for PC
on Jul 8, 2005 at 5:28:24 pm

Yes firewire editing works on the PC -- Avid Express Pro HD works with it today. Whether Adobe or other vendors will update their software remains to be seen, but Avid has it working already.

But keep in mind, "capturing" via firewire is much less important with an HVX. For almost all uses, you won't be "capturing" anything at all. You'll be either copying files off the P2 card via inserting it into a PCMCIA slot, or you'll be copying files off the cards through the Firewire connection to the camera. It won't be using AVC control, it'll be using SBP2 protocol. That means you plug the camera into the computer, and it mounts on the desktop as an external hard disk. You use Windows Explorer to copy the files onto your hard disk. You don't "capture" live video, you just do a file copy.

Of course, if your computer supports DVCPRO-HD firewire capture, such as through Avid or the forthcoming DV(cpro-HD) Rack or some other solution, then you can "capture" as we've always done with DV, but keep in mind that that's not going to be the normal way you work with the equipment.

Regarding files on the P2 card -- they're in MXF format. If your editor reads/understands MXF files, then you're good to go already. If not, then you can use the file conversion software from Focus that reads MXF and converts it to .AVI. However, you'll still need a DVCPRO-HD codec. Pinnacle, Avid, Apple, and Canopus all have DVCPRO-HD codecs available. Adobe and Sony don't, although you can use the Avid codec within Premiere and Vegas to get a sort of functional system right now. Expect much better integrated solutions by the time the camera actually ships, which is still probably 4-5 months away.

-----------------
Get the most from your DVX camera. The DVX Book and DVX DVD are now available at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/dvxbook/ and at Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/54u4a)

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jul 12, 2005 at 4:06:12 pm

There is no problems with FCP5.
The files are copied correctly over import "P2 files".You connect the camera directly with your laptop over USB. I work with SPX 800 in DVCPro50. No problems.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Shane Chadder
on Jul 16, 2005 at 3:32:20 pm

If the Avid codec works with Premiere, can you purchase the codec separately?

Return to posts index

Barry Green
on Jul 16, 2005 at 8:50:43 pm

[Shane Chadder] "If the Avid codec works with Premiere, can you purchase the codec separately?"

You don't need to purchase it, you can download it free.
http://www.avid.com/onlineSupport/supportcontent.asp?contentID=7952

Just be aware that it only works in Quicktime, not in AVI's. I don't know if it will work with Premiere, but it works in Vegas so presumably Premiere Pro will support it as well.

-----------------
Get the most from your DVX camera. The DVX Book and DVX DVD are now available at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/dvxbook/ and at Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/54u4a)

Return to posts index

Marion Laney
on Jul 16, 2005 at 5:58:08 pm

Barry,
I have a question about archiving of P2 material.

We produce episodic series television for a multi network corporation.

By contract (and don't tell me to tell THEM to change the requirements ;-{ ) I am required to have all original elements that are not stills on TC coded TAPE stock.
The 200 P2 camera in DVCPRO100 config is what I need for many B-cam shots but I will need to have all the content and code from the Card dubbed to tape immediately after aquisition. This is unfortunately non-negociable.

So my question is two parts;
1) Is there or will there be a device that I can simply insert the card into which can playout DVCPRO100 via HDSDI or Firewire into a 1200a deck with matching TC??

2) If not and as another option can I get a true DVCPRO100 signal out a HDSDI output opn the camera itself? Of couse the only code I can use here will be generated interally from the 1200a Deck. Firewire is not an option as we send up to 4 ch. of audio to the 1200a separate from the picture. As you know you can bring HDSDI picture into the 1200a deck while adding analog audio concurrently.

3) I know I said 2 questions, The worse case for me would be to have to import the card info into a FCP system and playout to the 1200a via firewire. Is this the only currently viable option??

Thanks for any insight you might have into any or all of these questions.

Marion

Marion Laney
Director-DP-sometimes Editor
ideaWercs, inc.
Atlanta, Ga. USA
Producing in HD&35mm&SD
Food Network series "Good Eats" and others.

Return to posts index

Barry Green
on Jul 16, 2005 at 8:54:35 pm

[Marion Laney] "1) Is there or will there be a device that I can simply insert the card into which can playout DVCPRO100 via HDSDI or Firewire into a 1200a deck with matching TC??"

You could certainly dub from the camera (or computer) to the AJ-HD1200A deck. As to whether it will dub timecode... I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say there's a 95% chance that it will... presumably it will, but until we actually try it, there can't be any guarantees.

[Marion Laney] "can I get a true DVCPRO100 signal out a HDSDI output on the camera itself?

None of these low-cost HD cameras offer HD-SDI. The only way to get HD-SDI would be to use an analog-to-HD-SDI converter, but I don't know if you would be able to preserve timecode.

Someday someone (like Miranda) may offer a firewire DVCPRO-HD-to-HDSDI converter. I believe they've just created one for HDV, so it certainly seems reasonable to expect one for the HVX as well. But I don't think such a device exists yet.

-----------------

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Jul 16, 2005 at 11:51:49 pm

But an SDI DVCproHD dub will degrade the picture. Ony a firewire dub will keep the integrity of the footage.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Marion Laney
on Jul 17, 2005 at 1:50:10 am

Thanks for the thoughts Barry and Graeme on this continually evaling workflow. Like all of you I look forward to having the real item to test an hopefully pass it as an allowed aquisition device.

As always thankd for your observations.
Marion

Marion Laney
Director-DP-sometimes Editor
ideaWercs, inc.
Atlanta, Ga. USA
Producing in HD&35mm&SD
Food Network series "Good Eats" and others.

Return to posts index

Shane Chadder
on Jul 17, 2005 at 1:50:29 am

>>>But an SDI DVCproHD dub will degrade the picture. Ony a firewire dub will keep the integrity of the footage.

Right

If you feel you need to go to HD100 tape dub from your camera firewire to an HD1200 with the firewire option.

But

Does the contract say videotape??? It's all just data, why not use a P2 card reader in a computer with a tape backup. It might be cheaper.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]