MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Aligning plane to camera in r22

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Rowley
Aligning plane to camera in r22
on Jul 31, 2020 at 5:56:22 pm

I'm trying to apply video to a plane, and have the plane look at the camera.

Tutorials online recommend adding "look at camera" tag (which causes the plane to disappear), then nesting the plane in a null object, rotating P by 90 degrees.

For some reason this is not working for me in C4D r22.

Here is a simple project file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpc3qtxethsab70/LookAtCamera.c4d?dl=0

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Aligning plane to camera in r22
on Jul 31, 2020 at 10:11:08 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 31, 2020 at 10:16:39 pm

Assuming you just want the camera to be centered with, and square to, the plane, do this:

Create your plane and orient it vertically either by its "Orientation" parameter or by rotating it in pitch. It's coordinates should be 0,0,0 by default. Add a camera, which will be created by default at the position you are viewing from. Reset the camera's PSR to 0,0,0 (shortcut Alt+0), which will place it in the center of the plane and aligned along the Z axis (perpendicular to the plane). Make the new camera active to look through it, and move the camera back in Z (negative Z value) to the desired viewing position.

Hope this helps.

Edit: The above image shows the plane as a child of the camera, which is only necessary if you want to animate the camera and always have the plane facing it. If so, do the parenting after the steps outlined above.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on Aug 1, 2020 at 1:22:08 am

put the Look at Camera tag on the null and then orient the child plane correctly.

Return to posts index

Sean Rowley
on Aug 1, 2020 at 1:28:25 am

That did the trick! I did it that way first, to no avail, but somehow it's fine now. (I realize I forgot to move the tag to the null in my linked cd4 file)

Thanks Sam!

Return to posts index

Sean Rowley
on Aug 1, 2020 at 1:26:52 am

Thanks Jim!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Aug 1, 2020 at 2:19:49 am

Sure thing, but as usual Sam has the best answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]