MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How can I bake a sound effector animation for export?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilary Tsai
How can I bake a sound effector animation for export?
on Jul 16, 2020 at 5:04:51 am
Last Edited By Hilary Tsai on Jul 16, 2020 at 5:05:29 am

I have a speaker animated by a sound effector with music. I want to bake the movement from the sound effector into the speaker so I can export it as .glb. Someone in a video recommended Mograph Cache tag, but it didn't work, and I'm thinking it's maybe an outdated tutorial.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: How can I bake a sound effector animation for export?
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:08:03 am

you are using the Sound Effector as a deformer? If so you should be able to bake the speaker to PLA (Point Level Animation) in the Animate layout - Functions/Bake Objects... make sure you check PLA

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
on Jul 17, 2020 at 3:39:37 am

Hi, Brian

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm using it as a deformer. I mean that I dropped my object (a speaker) into a cloner, then put a sound effector on it, loaded a sound file in, and the sound is affecting the speaker's Y position and uniform scale. However, in the animation view, there appear to be no keyframes. I tried as you suggested, and the animation is still not being baked in. It could be that I'm not in fact using it as a deformer, but I'm not sure how to describe how it's being used.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 17, 2020 at 5:01:17 am

ah, not as a deformer....
the mograph cache tag should work if it's attached to the cloner and that will export to Alembic but I don't know if that will export to glb/gltf maybe someone else knows. Or knows a way to bake a Mograph Cache tag.
However, you can still do the something similar by not putting the speaker in a cloner, adding the sound effector as a child of the speaker and setting Deformation in the sound effector's Deform tab to Point or Polygon
- the speaker will have to be an editable object
- the animation would be a different than doing the cloner/effector thing but it will allow you to bake the speaker to PLA (assuming that will export to .glb but I don't actually know that, I just guess it should)

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
on Jul 17, 2020 at 7:20:18 am

Brian-- First of all, thank you for your above suggestions! I tried both, and while neither had the intended result, I got something interesting happen on the second one. I exported it as a gltf. It had the checkbox for PLA, so I checked it. This time when I loaded it into the gltf viewer, it did not animate--but it showed 1 animation under the details for the object. Before, it would say 0 animations. Then it shows me some errors that say:

'Animation channel cannot target WEIGHTS when mesh does not have morph targets.'

(just the same message several times)

I figured this was because I checked PLA instead of Pose morph, but not sure. PLA is obviously necessary, so I can't change it. This may be more of a gltf issue than C4D, so I will try to ask around. By any chance though, do you know what this error might mean?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 17, 2020 at 7:29:20 pm

Sorry I don't (having no .gltf experience or rather the exporter) but it looks like the exporter deals with PLA by using Morph tag targets.

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
on Jul 19, 2020 at 5:16:18 am

Thank you, Brian. It turns out .glb doesn't support PLA. I will look into alternatives!

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
on Jul 19, 2020 at 5:18:09 am

^Actually, I'm not 100% sure about that, it's just what I heard from someone else; I'm reading more on the documentation for the format. Appreciate your help! You got me a lot closer to figuring out the root of the problem.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 21, 2020 at 3:49:21 am
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Jul 21, 2020 at 4:03:59 am

Ok, working with R21 I found the GLTF exporter at MaxonLabs and exported the test 'speaker' I made (Cloner/Sound effector) and exported as GLTF, checking Bake Animation there and the 3D Viewer in Windows sees the animation. Since you are on R22 and I know the exporter is built in now I don't know if the settings are the same but I got it to work here (or it seems to)
*edit* missed a step - I Baked the speaker to Alembic first and it was that that I exported to GLTF with Export Morph Animations to Pose Morph (the default - don't know if that's important) and Bake Animations checked. *edit*

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
on Jul 26, 2020 at 5:15:06 am

Thank you so much, Brian!! I will give this a try! I have R21 now too, since my S22 trial has run out. I'm excited to see the result:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]