<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aakash chopra
How to create this
on Jun 30, 2020 at 10:17:12 am

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: How to create this
on Jun 30, 2020 at 7:43:33 pm

Create a variety of hexagons and place them in a cloner.

Return to posts index

aakash chopra
on Jul 1, 2020 at 2:55:49 pm

can you explain in a bit more detail

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 1, 2020 at 4:01:20 pm

Create as many variations of hexagon objects as you want. Start with a cylinder object set to six rotation segments, make it editable, select the top polygons, and then make extrudes to add details. Here's the five I created for my example. If you are unfamiliar with this process, or with using cloners, I would suggest learning more about the basic functions of C4D.

Return to posts index

aakash chopra
on Jul 2, 2020 at 12:41:18 pm

I was looking for more of a procedural method like if we make a simple thing like one hexagon with only outline and other with the filled hexagon and then using cloner and effector to randomize the scale and position.but i face a problem that the scale of filled hexagon and the outline should be related to each other.e.g if a hexagon fill size decreases then the its outlining hexagon should become bold to fill the space. is there any method that can make it procedural that way.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 2, 2020 at 2:15:28 pm

Procedural might be possible with the right code to generate the objects (and I have no idea what it would be or if it's actually possible outside a plugin or not) but that is way more work than is necessary. Your example image only has 6 different hex combo's I can see and Jim's method is exactly what I would be doing. Put them in a cloner set to Iterate, use a Random effector to get random order but then use a random/noise/field to push the inner/outer hexes up and down procedurally as opposed to Jim's quick test where they appear to be fixed

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 2, 2020 at 2:24:54 pm

Your original question was about as minimally descriptive as it gets, so I simply provided one possible solution. That solution did use the "random" setting in the cloner to randomize where hexagons were placed in the honeycomb array. Your original image didn't have the scale of the main hexagons randomized (they must fit in the honeycomb grid), but only their inner details, so any randomization would have to be applied to the smaller, inner hexagons. When I get more time I will play around with looking for a more procedural way to create the variety of hexagons, and perhaps someone else will offer a solution in the meantime.

Good luck with the project.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 2, 2020 at 4:07:01 pm

Here's an attempt, two cloners each with matching sizes of hex objects (cloners set to Random, as long as the cloner's Seed value remains the identical the random distribution will match). Then added a separate Shader effector for each cloner so the height values are independent.

14208_doubleclonerhexes.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 2, 2020 at 8:13:01 pm

Very clever Brian. Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]