MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texture problem

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Rodgers
Texture problem
on Jun 14, 2020 at 9:55:24 pm

I had to use the relax UV option on this texture but when I did, it created this strange seam with the pits becoming really small as the texture wraps around and meets itself. How do I fix this? If I turn off relax UV, they are big at the base of the dome and tiny at the top. Any insight?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcwab5hij3ambxa/CropperCapture%5B41%5D.png?dl=0

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Texture problem
on Jun 15, 2020 at 3:23:46 am

are you using an image texture (not procedural noises)? Can you post the image file?

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jun 15, 2020 at 8:08:13 pm

Thanks Brian, yes, it is an image. I've been playing with a whole bunch of settings and I have made a little progress but there are bizarre distortions and misalignments. Here is the texture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dit066lf7jhbm0f/shutterstock_1423634645-%5BConver...

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 15, 2020 at 10:52:52 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Jun 16, 2020 at 3:14:24 am

using a Polar to Rectangular filter (in PS or some such) on the image gives pretty good results with just UVW mapping - not perfect but better.

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jun 16, 2020 at 2:10:31 pm

I really appreciate your help, but I don't even know where to begin with that.

This is a "seamless" texture and it makes no sense to me at all why this shouldn't be a very simple task in Cinema. Baffling.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:23:32 pm
Last Edited By Kalleheikki Kannisto on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:25:46 pm

If you use Brian's version of the texture, mapped with spherical mapping on a hemisphere, you get the result on the right, with the original texture you get the result to the left. Note 2 tiles along the V coordinate. Works the same with the original UV mapping of the procedural hemisphere.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:28:18 pm

I will try this, thank you!

I'm still confused though, why is this not achievable with the base texture?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:38:52 pm

Wrapping a square around a sphere, something's gonna get stretched, something squished. With spherical mapping the top edge of the map squeezes into a point, while the bottom (or middle) stretches to double around the equator.
Polar-to-rectangular gives you a reasonably good reverse distortion to counter-act this -- for one hemisphere, that is.
If you need a smaller texture, you need to shrink and tile the texture first (to 1/2, 1/3, 1/4... so as to retain seamlessness) before applying the polar-to-rectangular distortion. You can't adjust the size after the distortion.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:38:46 pm

Okay, this worked but the pits are huge. In spherical mapping, how do I reduce the size of all of the pits to the right proportions?

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:41:36 pm

(Please see previous answer)

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jun 16, 2020 at 5:54:21 pm

Any of you guys on Upwork or Guru? I will pay someone to get these domes right for me. I have tried scaling things and I end up with strange distortions still.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 16, 2020 at 11:11:44 pm

there are two ways to make the pits smaller one is to increase the number of tiles in your Material tag but to avoid seams you should stay with even numbered tiles or to increase the number of dots in the image. Or you can double the size of the canvas in the original image then copied the image layer 3 times and arrange the layers to make a seamless image at double the size.
Then do a Polar to Rectangular on that.

all of that works on the upper dome since it's a hemisphere and basically it's the "Mercator projection" type of distortion (from earth global maps) that you need. On the lower body of the barbeque it would be a lot simpler since it's really close to a cylinder so cylindrical projection with the image without Polar to Rectangular would work fairly well.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 17, 2020 at 12:24:51 am

here's a quick trial not much effort, blurred the images a touch (it's easy to blur too much with that image) to smooth the pits, the model is by Remco van der Meer from the PixelLab freebies page.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]