MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Blocking the Wind

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Thomson
Blocking the Wind
on May 29, 2020 at 7:11:26 pm

Hello all,

if you have a second to take a look at the provided file I need an idea how to accomplish blocking a wind force with an object. I can't seem to figure it out.

...i'm having an issue getting an upload link from CC here is a link to the file. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtPbglp0kdwOhPFAqtkp9IFPudBZyg?e=NLsdXS

Thanks.

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Blocking the Wind
on May 29, 2020 at 8:46:08 pm

By virtue of its symbology in the viewport, the Wind object tends to give the impression that it is "blowing" air from a certain position. But like other similar modifiers ("gravity" and "turbulence," for example) it is simply applying a force to the particles in the scene regardless of where its icon happens to be located. Unless it has a falloff applied its position is completely irrelevant, which means that moving an object "between" it and the emitter isn't really doing anything. Its force is being applied everywhere, and not from one position (the "fan," so to speak) to another. If you want it to look like wind is being "blocked" by the cube simply keyframe the "Wind Speed" or the "Enabled" parameter to coincide with the movement of the cube.

Return to posts index

Justin Thomson
on May 30, 2020 at 7:57:59 pm

Thanks Jim,

Looks like everyone is confirming my doubt about doing a "simulation". Perhaps that is a limitation of c4d, good thing all I need is a proof of concept. Thanks for looking into it for me.

When you get to the top, don’t forget to send the elevator down for the next guy

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 30, 2020 at 9:20:23 pm

it's possible with Falloff of the Wind. One wind blows the particles and another wind with a Box falloff that follows the cube (Child) blowing in the opposite direction will do what you are looking for I think.

14158_windblock.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 30, 2020 at 10:14:57 pm

Very clever Brian. That got me thinking about using a falloff on the original wind object and parenting it to the cube. Something like this:

14159_windblock2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 30, 2020 at 10:28:18 pm

Can’t view it at the moment but I’m guessing inverse the box falloff to do it with one wind

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 30, 2020 at 10:36:10 pm

[Brian Jones] "Can’t view it at the moment but I’m guessing inverse the box falloff to do it with one wind"

Well, that would work as well, but I just enlarged and positioned the box falloff so that it enclosed the emitter while the cube was to the side and then moved clear of the emitter as the cube moved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]