Adding delay effector to bend

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noa Xavier
Adding delay effector to bend
on Mar 25, 2020 at 6:59:01 pm
Last Edited By Noa Xavier on Mar 25, 2020 at 6:59:27 pm

Hello,

Today I'm approaching the following effect.The Microsoft Office app – Word, Excel, PowerPoint & more

My initial thinking is to strategically place 'bend' effects around a plane to control the bending effects. This was a breeze.

Next, I'm using a cloner with a step effector that way I can make each plane 'fly up' by controlling the y-position with the step effector.

I was able to achieve this result:

First Frame

Last Frame

What's the problem:

Although i'm able to get the planes to float-up with the step effect, and I can achieve the bend effect, i'm not able to have a different bend effect on individual planes or at least the ones I decide to edit. Why is that? Because I have cloned the original plane and animated the bend effects. All the clone objects will then have the same bend effect, where I would like fine control of the objects being generated by the clone.

Desired result:
Obviously if I hit 'C' on the clone, it will provide all of its instances as layers - but as a result it would lose the animation properties created by the 'step' effector. However when I do this, I have fine control of the bend properties and I can demonstrate an example of what i'm trying to achieve.

Hopefully someone can help,
Thank you!

Here is a link to my file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/78o48pra1qefu86/bends_step.c4d?dl=0

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Adding delay effector to bend
on Mar 26, 2020 at 12:32:12 am

To keep the ability to animate the step effector, and get individual control of the bend on each plane, try this:

1) Starting from your original uploaded project file, set the step effector's Y position parameter to a small value (but not zero). For my example below I set it to .1cm. This will slightly offset all the planes which is a necessary set-up for the next steps.
2) Remove the keyframes from the step effector and set its strength to 100%.
3) Make the cloner editable.
4) Put the cloner (which is now a null object) in a fracture object, and set the fracture object's mode to "Explode Segments & Connect."
5) Add the step effector to the fracture object.
6) Animate the step effector's Y position parameter as desired.

You will now have individual control over all the planes' bend deformers.

14051_bendsstepmod.c4d.zip

(You could get a similar result with slightly different steps by starting from just the cloner object with the step effector removed, but the steps above simplify the process as long as you start from your original file.)

Return to posts index

Noa Xavier
on Mar 26, 2020 at 2:17:40 am

This is a neat solution, because as you've said it simplifies the amount of steps. I'm trying to hit the green thumb button to upvote your solution but it doesn't work. Thank you so much for your help.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Mar 26, 2020 at 2:20:11 am

You are very welcome. I'm glad it helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]