Trouble Beveling an Abstract Boolean

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelvin Wang
Trouble Beveling an Abstract Boolean
on Feb 20, 2020 at 7:02:52 pm
Last Edited By Kelvin Wang on Feb 20, 2020 at 7:03:16 pm

Hi guys,

I have created an abstract metaball shape that I then Booled within a Flat Cube Wall. The result form is an abstract cut in within the wall - I now want to round the edges of the wall using some sort of Bevel Deformer but nothing works to create rounded edges.

Does anyone know who to tackle such problems?

I have included a optimized help file if anyone could please take a look!

Link here: https://gofile.io/?c=SJ5OGV

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Trouble Beveling an Abstract Boolean
on Feb 22, 2020 at 11:48:12 pm

Hi Kelvin,

The problem as I see it is that the topology of the mesh is a mess for beveling. In its original form there is not a simple clean edge around the boole's cut-out in the wall to easily select and apply a bevel. To view the original mesh select Gouraud Shading (Lines). (Since I don't have Octane I have replaced all of the Octane materials.)

To retopologize the mesh I selected the Boole, enabled "Create single object," and used the plugin QuadRemesher, which gave the following result:

From that much cleaner mesh I could easily select the edges and use the bevel tool to round them.

If you are skilled at retopologizing (I'm not) perhaps you could do something similar without QuadRemesher, but there is a free 30 day trial if you want to try it out.

https://exoside.com/quadremesher/

Digital Meat has a nice introduction to the plugin here:

One downside of this technique is that it only works by creating a single object out of the boole (the wall and metaball), which precludes texturing the metaball separately. You would need to make a selection of the interior polygons in the cut-out in order to apply another material there.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]