MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Control where particles fall

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Addie Kennamer
Control where particles fall
on Feb 11, 2020 at 6:17:33 pm

Hi! I am fairly new to C4D and am trying to create an animation describing Leaky Gut. I need particles to only fall in the cracks of my epithelial cells I have created however, when i add an emitter above them they obviously just fall all over depending on the size of the emitter. The cells start together and then separate and when they separate is when i need the particles to fall through the cracks of separation only. Is there a way to control the particles to where they only fall between the cracks of the cells? I have posted a picture below to hopefully help understand a little better. Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Control where particles fall
on Feb 12, 2020 at 1:45:19 am

One way would be to use some other collider objects (set to not render) in order to funnel the particles into the cell openings, as well as multiple emitters for better control. And a wider funnel shape at the top would make it look like the particles were being sucked through the openings (assuming that's what you want).

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 12, 2020 at 4:05:25 am

Or, perhaps more elegantly, one emitter and multiple funnels.

Return to posts index

Addie Kennamer
on Feb 12, 2020 at 2:10:29 pm

Thank you! How would I control how the emitter particles falling into the funnel only? Right now they're just going through through the objects if they touch them.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 12, 2020 at 4:44:17 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Feb 12, 2020 at 4:49:02 pm

Along with a rigid body tag on the particles, you need to add collider body tags ("Dynamic" - off, Shape - "Static Mesh") to the funnels. Here's an example below. For the funnels, the lower "traffic light" is set to red (Visible in Render - Off) so they won't render. I also set the particle "Speed" to zero and set gravity to 300 cm (Project > Dynamics > General) so that the particles would fall more slowly. (I just added transparent materials to the funnels so that they would be more see-through in the Viewport and for the screenshot than enabling "X-Ray" in their basic properties.)

14024_leakygut2.c4d.zip

Edit: you also need collider body tags on the epithelial cells so the particles don't go through them.

Return to posts index

Addie Kennamer
on Feb 14, 2020 at 3:56:03 pm

Got it! Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Feb 14, 2020 at 4:23:46 pm

You're welcome. Glad it helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>