MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Cloned objects along a spline with a surface deformer rotating around spline

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Chamberlain
Cloned objects along a spline with a surface deformer rotating around spline
on Feb 2, 2020 at 1:37:18 am

I'm creating a string of oil booms floating in the water. The water is made wavy with a displacer.

I clone the boom along the spine and use a surface deformer on the spline. This works well to a point. All the booms are individual and don't bend but instead follow the spline. So far so good. Here's the problem, if I use the "align to spline" function in the cloner, the booms are in the right place in a string just like I want and it's bobbing up and down on the water...however the booms are rotating around the spline instead of staying up/down with the seam on top.

I've tried everything from rails to effectors, but maybe my whole approach is wrong. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: Cloned objects along a spline with a surface deformer rotating around spline
on Feb 3, 2020 at 3:29:23 am
Last Edited By Sam Treadway on Feb 3, 2020 at 3:32:21 am

Create an instance object (modeling menu) and point it to the displaced spline object. In the Cloner, reference the instance object as the Rail. Then pull the instance object straight up until there is no jitter in the clones. Also, on the Cloner maker sure "Fix Clones" is off.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: Cloned objects along a spline with a surface deformer rotating around spline
on Feb 3, 2020 at 3:30:04 am
Last Edited By Sam Treadway on Feb 3, 2020 at 3:32:38 am

-

Return to posts index

Alan Chamberlain
on Feb 3, 2020 at 6:23:36 am

That looks like it worked. Finally...thanks so much Sam. Don't know how many hours I tossed at this.
You helped me out on a model for my short film a few years ago.... don't know if you remember, but thanks again for that as well.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on Feb 3, 2020 at 2:21:44 pm

Cool. Yeah I didn't look at the name of the poster until after I responded but recognized the name. I think the film was called Judges, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]