MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Letters blown away by the wind

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mio Tanaka
Letters blown away by the wind
on Dec 11, 2019 at 11:21:30 pm

Hi,

I want to make letters blown away by the wind like at 1:45 (soap bubbles) in this video:
https://vimeo.com/51058092

With these into consideration:
- Letters interact when they collide
- Cast shadow (text is extruded)

I'm still a beginner at Cinema. How would you do this?
Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Letters blown away by the wind
on Dec 13, 2019 at 2:11:53 am

The dynamics engine can do this quite easily.

You will have to make all the text "editable" (as in make it polys and not leave it as extruded text - make sure to set the text to "Create Single Object" in the Extrude object so the caps get glued to the extrusion. - the collision engine can only work on polygonal objects)

Turn off gravity (project settings). This way the text won't fall when you start the simulation.

Then you need objects to bang into the text. These can be hand animated or they can be unleashed in a particle system or even have the wind push them along.

You can have different wind objects - one for the collider objects and one for the text and you can ramp that up and down as needed so the wind doesn't affect the text until after they have been disturbed by the colliding objects.

All the geometry that needs to collide will need Collider Body tags (Right click/simulation tags).
Depending on complexity of text and collider objects you may need to make stunt objects. These are lower poly versions of each object that are not seen by the camera (rightclick/Cinema4DTags/composting tag/uncheck "seen by camera") and do all the banging around and carry the hero objects around with them - the stunt objects get the collider tags not the hero objects. There's a lot of math going on in the collision detection algorithm so the lower the poly count for the smashing calcs the faster it will calculate.

Once you are happy with the simulation you can cache it so as you tweak textures or other elements it doesn't have to do the heavy math every time you make a change and you can play the animation real time (or as real time as your system will allow)

Return to posts index

Mio Tanaka
Re: Letters blown away by the wind
on Dec 17, 2019 at 8:12:48 am

Thanks for the concise yet really helpful step by step guides!

I've tried the technique and it's looking good.
I will try finessing it and I might need some help. Will post again if that's the case.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]