MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Transitioning from one spline to another spline? (Cinema 4D R20 Educational License)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Wolther
Transitioning from one spline to another spline? (Cinema 4D R20 Educational License)
on Dec 2, 2019 at 5:41:29 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm a 3D student, and for a project, I'm working on an animation regarding proteins inside cells. It's a pretty big animation... 2120 frames.

I've scoured the internet for a couple of days to find a solution to my problem, but as it's pretty specific to my own project, I've had no luck. Ultimately I decided to get an account on this site and ask the world directly.

My problem is that of a transition. I have one object wrapped along a spline, and that object needs to transition into another spline. It's hard to explain without pictures, so here is a visual...

This is the shape (the tricolored cylinder) along the original spline:

The cylinder needs to transition to this spline smoothly:

These are two separate splines. Right now I just have the transition in the Spline Wrap deformer (changing the "Spline") but this creates a hard cut from one to the next (this was meant to be a placeholder).

Is there an easy way to do this with two splines, or will I just need to get rid of the second spline and animate the first into the new position?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: Transitioning from one spline to another spline? (Cinema 4D R20 Educational License)
on Dec 3, 2019 at 5:38:08 pm

With two existing splines:
First make sure both splines have the same number of points and the point order is in the same relative direction.
Add a pose morph tag to the first spline and switch on "points" under the 'mixing' heading. Then, in the pose morph tag's attributes, on the "tag" tab, drag the second spline object right below "Base Pose" in the list. Delete "Pose 0". Now Switch to Animate mode (right above that list) and you can animate the slider.

Using just one spline:
Add a pose morph tag to the spline and while "Pose 0" is selected in the tag, select the spline object and adjust the points to the end positions.
Switch to Animate mode and adjust the slider.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Transitioning from one spline to another spline? (Cinema 4D R20 Educational License)
on Dec 3, 2019 at 7:01:54 pm

EJ Hassenfratz did a tutorial for morphing between splines with different point counts -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]