All of a sudden R19 has started behaving badly. The SubD modifier is making its children disappear in the viewport and materials take forever to figure themselves out.
When I double click a material to edit it, I can wait 30 sec or so before it decides what it should look like and I can get on with editing. This gets bad because sometimes every change I make in the material settings causes this delay. Not exactly efficient.
Its only on my one machine and only since I starting working with hair and the hair material. (but happens on non hair materials)
Throwing the prefs was my first thought but I've got so much custom stuff saved in that file I didn't want to make that my first option.
Sorry to hear about your issues. I have never experienced what you are describing but have experienced other issues (extremely long opening times for R20, for example) that were only fixed by reinstalling the app.
As far as bad behavior in general is concerned, limit access to social media and high fructose corn syrup. ;)
Ah thats right; I spilled ketchup on the keyboard last week - that explains it. First three ingredients are HFCS!
I've got the SubD working again by deleting the C4D prefs. so that's something at least, but still a mystery on the slow resolve rate of the materials. Same project is on another machine and there are no issues on that box. I've been wondering if its a card/OGL issue.