MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

If I stop a render, can i finish it later?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo Cionini
If I stop a render, can i finish it later?
on Nov 24, 2019 at 7:02:42 pm

Hi. I stopped a rendering (exporting to .avi) with C4D r.21 ... I thought that the .avi file would be playable until the last rendered frame. Well, it isn't.
I did the same operation a few days ago and it worked: the final .avi file plays until the last rendered frame. I don't understand.

So, i need to know: if I check again the stopped file in the render queue, will it finish to render?
Is it possible to continue a previously stopped rendering?

thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: If I stop a render, can i finish it later?
on Nov 25, 2019 at 2:20:06 pm

It really depends on how the render is stopped. If C4D gets to close the file that is has been laying to disk then yes you can play that file, and then start the render again, joining the two movies later. This is the same for QT movies. If there is a crash or you happened to hit stop just as the file was being worked on (mid save on a frame) that file may not get closed properly and it will be corrupt.
As a general rule its better to save to frames. This way if there is a crash it only affects that one frame and all the others are still intact. The picture viewer can play frames out as if they are joined in a movie, so you don't need to make a movie in another program to see it in motion, so there's really no reason not to render to frames. Plus rendering as frames let you render in some very useful formats that you can't really do as a movie (EXR for instance)

Return to posts index

Matteo Cionini
Re: If I stop a render, can i finish it later?
on Nov 27, 2019 at 8:24:16 am

Thank you very much! Very clear answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]