MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Displacement in C4D

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kobalia
Displacement in C4D
on Nov 19, 2019 at 3:30:33 pm

Hello, everyone!  I've encountered a certain issue, when I was experimenting with displacement in C4D. So, the thing is: the displacement of my object can be seen only in Viewport and Render Region. However, when I try clicking "Render to picture viewer" - C4D shows object in its default state. 

Could anyone please tell how to fix it (if that is possible at all)? I'm sure I'm like one tickbox away from the solution, but I just can't find an answer.

Here's a Render Region view

Here's what I get when I click  "Render to picture viewer"

Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Displacement in C4D
on Nov 20, 2019 at 6:01:01 pm

I can't recreate your issue. Could you upload your project file?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Nov 20, 2019 at 6:22:43 pm

Is "sub polygon displacement" turned on in the render settings/options? I mean I can't see it working in the view port render if its not, but its worth a look.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Nov 20, 2019 at 6:51:39 pm

I was initially wondering the same thing Steve, but as far as I can tell enabling/disabling SPD affects all renders, and it wouldn't stop the basic displacement from showing in the render. From Tim's first reference image it looks like he's using a displacer deformer rather than a displacement channel in the texture, which is where the SPD setting would have an affect.

Return to posts index

Tim Kobalia
on Nov 21, 2019 at 10:52:13 am

Thanks for your suggestion, but apparently that's not the reason. Here's project file, if you don';t mind taking a look 13918_spikes.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Tim Kobalia
on Nov 21, 2019 at 6:05:31 am

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Here's project file 13918_spikes.c4d.zip
Would be very thankful if you could take a look and figure out what's wrong

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Nov 21, 2019 at 7:40:05 am

Hi Tim,
With all your settings intact (other than turning off GI and AO to speed up rendering) I get the same result you do. The only thing I have been able to find so far that allows the Picture Viewer to render the displacement is to disable one of the two Tension Tags on the Torus. As I have never used Tension Tags before I am unfamiliar with them, and therefore haven't had a chance to fully dissect the project. So as to why this is happening I don't know. Are they both necessary? And even if one was added by mistake that still doesn't explain why displacement renders in the Viewport and not in the Picture Viewer.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps a brighter mind will chime in.

Return to posts index

Tim Kobalia
on Nov 21, 2019 at 10:53:43 am

Thanks Jim, for trying!

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Nov 21, 2019 at 3:19:08 pm

Sure thing. When I get more time I'll try to fully dissect the project and see if I can find the issue.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]