MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

texture png file applied as a tile, not to individual parts, when importing

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Turley
texture png file applied as a tile, not to individual parts, when importing
on Nov 17, 2019 at 11:06:01 pm

I scanned an actor in RecFusion and got a resulting obj, mtl, an png file. When I open it in C4D, the texture gets applied as if the png file is a color that gets applied like a tiled pattern. If I open the same obj file in MeshLab, everything looks correct. If I export it from MeshLab as a DAE or OBJ file, when I open that in C4D the colors are in the right place, but they have strange dark jagged lines that cover the model. You can see all the files in this folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jusp2lb25gs4t1c/AAA7RYqVvKacwmnzCB9eLP6ka?dl=0

If anyone could help me know what step I'm missing I'd be grateful. I am brand new to C4D, and am not even sure what these issues would be called to search for them.

Also, my goal is to get the model into C4D, clean it up, rig it, and bring it into Unity. If you have ideas about that work flow, or if there some easier way and I could skip C4D entirely, I'm open to any solution. But I need it rigged and in Unity. 

Thanks, 

Ty

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: texture png file applied as a tile, not to individual parts, when importing
on Nov 18, 2019 at 3:46:01 am

There is an error in C4D importing the UV's (script console reporting turned on).
It may be that other apps can read the UV's and overlook or disregard the errors while C4D has a stricter policy and simply cancels reading in the UV's when it finds bad data.

Meshlab is good to have in the workflow when dealing with scans like this.
I'd just continue with that as a means to import, clean, verify, export.

The 'strange dark jagged lines' you see are due to the more linear way textures are scaled in C4D and the way they were created in the other app with hard edges and a black background. It's aliasing the hard edges against the BG causing a sort of 'drop shadow' effect. An auto-erode feature would be nice to have.
With the material selected: Editor tab > Texture Preview Size = "No Scaling" should fix that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]