MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Some research on data visualisation

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny Price
Some research on data visualisation
on Oct 30, 2019 at 12:07:37 pm

Hey,

So I've been tasked with researching if a data visualisation task can be achieved in c4d. I myself have never used c4d, which is why I've turned to people with working knowledge to see if I can get some quick answers. I'm a Houdini and Maya user, the task can be done in Houdini but for a few internal pipeline reason we want to see if we can get the same result in c4d.

The task:

Create splines visualising flight routes around the globe.

The plan is to take two sets of csv data from OpenFlights, one being Airports and their location using Lat Long - which will need to be converted to Cartesian, the other being flight routes. Both the Airport and Routes data sets contain the Airports unique real world ID, which means it's easy enough to create a source point and a destination point.

I'd like to have some control over how the spline looks, especially 'pushing' it off the surface of the globe to give a 'lofting' appearance.

I don't need a complete walkthrough, more just some pointers and more importantly an idea of whether or not it's possible.

Cheers,
Danny

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Some research on data visualisation
on Oct 30, 2019 at 6:04:58 pm

The Line Connection plugin might be useful for this:

https://aescripts.com/line-connection-for-cinema-4d/

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on Oct 31, 2019 at 2:04:37 am

This is all possible using xPresso. If you have the data to start with then you can manipulate it any way you want - sort it, iterate through it, offset it, clamp it, etc.
The MatrixMulVector node could come in handy if you have three points in the each dataset.

Return to posts index

Danny Price
on Oct 31, 2019 at 3:09:39 pm

Thanks to both of you. Yeah I've started on it, I'll post an update when I've got something 😃

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]