MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Object transparant except part facing light

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marten Kopp
Object transparant except part facing light
on Oct 29, 2019 at 7:32:54 am

Hello guys,

For my latest project I came across a problem. I have this city created in Cinema. This scene will eventually be render with sketch and toon to get this nice cartoony look. But I would like to have only the building parts facing the sun to be visible. The other parts have to be transparent but still obscure with the buildings behind them. Alternatively the shadowed parts could have the same color as the background.

I have managed to get this effect using 2 materials and 2 this manually but this will take up to much time. Most ideally would be the material to interact with the light.

Anyone has the perfect answer for me? Or any that comes close and puts me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: Object transparant except part facing light
on Oct 30, 2019 at 2:17:46 am
Last Edited By Sam Treadway on Oct 30, 2019 at 2:19:42 am

If you are using standard materials on the buildings:
Add a Lumas shader to the alpha channel and crank up the illumination to maybe 200% and contrast to 100%. This will render everything in shadow per building transparent.

Now to also make the shadows that are cast on other buildings transparent or match the BG color (assuming it's a solid BG):
Add a sketch style tag to each object or group them and add it to the group null.
Enable shading and set it to gradient. Default gradient patterns should be fine for now.
Turn on Illumination, Shadows and Colorize.
On colorize gradient, keep the black and set the other color to match your BG color.

Here is a quick examples based on what I interpreted from your description. Is This what you're sorta looking for:

Was it helpful?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]