MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

hair direction - what if I want -Z?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
hair direction - what if I want -Z?
on Oct 6, 2019 at 10:54:13 am

In the growth direction of the Guides tab for the hair object, I don't want to choose "Normal" but I would be happy enough with an axis direction. But once you select Direction, there is no option for -X, -Y, or -Z. Which is great if the poly's you want to emit from are facing the right way. But what if they aren't? I tried a negative length but that didn't work either. And choosing local always send the hairs "in"
I thought there would be an angle adjustment like in the Cloner.

Return to posts index

Emir Bojorquez
Re: hair direction - what if I want -Z?
on Oct 6, 2019 at 2:24:51 pm

Try with the Hair tools to move, rotate, grow and so; to create hair in all the directions. Is not a one click action but probably that helps.

Good luck

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 6, 2019 at 7:42:11 pm

if the hair source is editable you can use the axis tools to make the Z go the direction you want and the hairs will follow

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 6, 2019 at 8:22:06 pm

Hi All,
Unfortunately Brian, its gonna be hair (and I already tried making a model for the hair and ran into my other problem in a previous post (because the hair is distributing properly for "surface", so I started "skinning another fish",- what can I say I'm a cat person).

In this file you can see the plane and polys I want to emit from, But I want to emit them in the other "z" direction and there is no option for that.
Curling them around as Emir suggested would require insane amounts of segments (but hey we'd have the Ingrown Hair filter!)
Just like my "cloner on surface" post, I can't use a texture for the placement but I don't know if that would help. I think I could probably invert the normals and use normal mode instead of direction mode but then the model doesn't render correctly.

What I really want these to do is emerge on an angle to the normal. is there a way to do that?

Again I'm sure Ive done this before but those brain cells have imbibed too often.

13783_hairdirection.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 6, 2019 at 8:41:34 pm

hmm zero time at the moment to look at the file but based on description could you duplicate the object, invert normals for the hair but not render (compositing tag) and one with normal normals for render.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 6, 2019 at 8:55:59 pm

Good idea Brian. I was thinking that I would dup the object and delete all the polys I don't need and invert the normals, but the object is a character mesh and that would screw up a bunch of stuff with joint warps, vertex maps etc. But just turning the dup off is a great simple solution and then I could just invert the normals on the whole thing. I don't even need to use a compositing tag, I can just set the dup to not render.

But I still really want to emit the hairs on an angle of my choosing from the poly surface. I thought I saw you could do that somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]