MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

cloner, object mode, surface and selection tag - not working

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bentley
cloner, object mode, surface and selection tag - not working
on Oct 6, 2019 at 7:57:27 am

Hi All,
I've got an object with a selection tag on it assigned to a group of polys - named and everything (my mom would be so proud - now if I can just overcome all those "Untitled" layers in AE)
I've got a cloner with some child objects I want to spread out on the surface of that first object but only on the selected poly's.
Cloner is set to object, surface and the selection tag has been dragged in (I've also tried typing the name of the selection). I can't use a vertex map because... well I can't. I also can't have the objects just showing up at poly central or on each vertex.
I'm sure I've done this 100 times before. What am I missing? I only get one clone showing up and only on the first poly even though I"ve got three children under the cloner. And the one that's showing up is the middle one!
R19.

Return to posts index

Emir Bojorquez
Re: cloner, object mode, surface and selection tag - not working
on Oct 6, 2019 at 2:27:15 pm

You could share your file so we can take a look at it and try to help you

Imagination is the best tool...

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 6, 2019 at 2:47:25 pm

what's your Distribution set to in the cloner?

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 6, 2019 at 8:10:09 pm

Thanks for responding guys, I was on the middle of doing things in the complex file and hadn't made a simple version yet. And when I did,I got one that worked (sort of) and one that didn't (attached).
In the first you can see the kind of distribution I want (but incorrectly on poly center) and what I'm getting with surface selected and a selection tag. The "base" object is closer to the shape I'm working with in the big file. Do the poly's have to be quads for this to work?

In the second example this works (sorta) but other than Quads I can't see what is different. But perhaps it's not actually working and its just a fluke., The selection tag does limit the clones to those polys but if you change the seed in the cloner, the clones go everywhere. It also isn't distributing the number I've asked for.
What have I missed? I know I've done this before hundreds of times.

I know I could do this with a texture and the Shader effector but given the model l'm spreading the clones on that's easier said than done. But writing that has given me an idea. Let me know what you think and I'll report back on the now-rested brainwave.

13781_surfaceselectioncloner.c4d.zip

13782_surfaceselectionclonersortaworks.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Oct 6, 2019 at 9:35:15 pm

more time than I thought... on 82 (sorta works) I get results if I increase the count to 1000, which makes sense since with surface the entire surface is covered by the count and the selection then enables (or hides the others I don't know) the clones in that area only. That doesn't seem to work with 81, don't know why

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Oct 6, 2019 at 9:45:45 pm

You're the man Brian! Thanks!
This actually makes sense. When you use a texture in the shader effector for Mograph, C4D is putting clones everywhere and only showing those that fall within the white areas of the texture.** So even if you can only see one clone there might be 10,000 hiding all over the surface.
I had assumed this would be more streamlined using poly selections but I'll bet its the same algorithm as the shader effector and the unselected polys are infested with invisible clones.

** this approach has always bugged me. We did an overly art directed wheat field last year and topped out the ram with too many clones, (most of which we couldn't see), to get the shape we were after. Seems RAM wasteful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]