MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How to make text etched into a tombstone?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilary Tsai
How to make text etched into a tombstone?
on Oct 5, 2019 at 10:34:39 pm

At first, I tried a boole to subtract my extruded text from the tombstone object. However, that immediately crashed C4d (I think because the text is derived from a vectorizer, which may be more heavy to render--not sure). What is an alternative to using a boole for creating the look of text etched into an object?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How to make text etched into a tombstone?
on Oct 6, 2019 at 7:42:49 am

If the subtractor inside the bool has been polygonalized (hit the C key to make it editable) then it should be able to bool properly - make sure your headstone is also collapsed to polys as well. (I mean this shouldn't be necessary but when the bool has a heart attack sometimes its neccessary).

If you are using R21 (and maybe R20) this is sooo much easier with the new bool tools.

If that still doesn't do the trick make sure to subdivide the shapes being booled - sometimes there just isn't enough geometry to give the bool a clue as to where to cut.
Also try the bool with High quality turned on or off and the same with the Create Single object. You won't always get the best bool but the bool will often work in one of these modes and not the other.
You could also try using straight text, do the bool, make the resulting object editable and then bevel the edges of the text to get that chiseled look.

Return to posts index

Hilary Tsai
Re: How to make text etched into a tombstone?
on Oct 14, 2019 at 10:50:26 am

Hey Steve, this is really helpful. Thanks a lot! I didn't realize booles could be so problematic in some cases. The subdivision suggestion seemed to fix the crashing and lag issues, and I will keep your other suggestions in mind for the future!

Thanks again:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]