MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

"Driving" the camera while looking thru the lens (R17)

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
"Driving" the camera while looking thru the lens (R17)
on Sep 21, 2019 at 6:35:20 pm

(R17) When you are changing the Camera location while viewing thru the lens in the viewport, how do you dolly in/out? That is, without using the Transform gizmo at all, mouse only.

The scroll wheel works for a while, but seems to poop out after a while, especially while dollying IN.

Since essentially you are dollying in/out of the screen, is there a key combo you must hold down to accomplish this?

Tnx.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: "Driving" the camera while looking thru the lens (R17)
on Sep 21, 2019 at 8:17:02 pm

Pan - left mouse button while holding 1 key, or center mouse button while holding ALT/OPT key
Dolly - left mouse button while holding 2 key, or right mouse button while holding ALT/OPT key, or scroll wheel
Orbit - left mouse button while holding 3 key, or left mouse button while holding ALT/OPT key
Bank - Right mouse button while holding 3 key

Some people prefer to keep their keyboard hand over the 1-2-3 keys and always use left mouse button, while some prefer to switch fingers on the mouse from left-center-right buttons while keyboard hand is ready on the ALT/OPT key (assuming you have a three button mouse). I learned the latter first, so that's what I tend to stick with. Go with whatever floats your boat. Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: "Driving" the camera while looking thru the lens (R17)
on Sep 23, 2019 at 2:37:15 am

Ya gotta watch that scroll wheel. Depending on your set up you can actually be changing your focal length instead of dollying, which is why, after a bit of in and out and moving around (no really, I'm talking about C4D here) you'll find that your camera is now crazy wide and everything is distorting and clipping or your lens is now so long that it takes a lot of scrolling just to move a little ways in.

I finally broke down one year and picked up a Connexion Space mouse. I don't use it every day but when I need a walk through it's really nice.
We also built a DIDO that mimics the pan, tilt and ped cranks of a real fluid head and also has a dolly crank. When a shot isn't looking right we'll often get the DP in to move the camera for the shot and they love the controls. Then the shot has the same feel since its the same guy behind the "camera". But once they use that dolly crank, they leave wanting more control over the guys who push the dolly in and out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]