MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Slowing down dynamics based IK animation

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Lange
Slowing down dynamics based IK animation
on Sep 5, 2019 at 11:31:18 am

Hello,
I am trying to animate a fast moving fish using the character animation tool. My problem is that I want to get a slow-mo of a fast moving fish. I can't figure out how to slow down the animation without it affecting the dynamics of it. As soon as I slow down the animation by e.g. increasing the fps, the dynamics adapt and I loose the high energy movements I had before. I can't seem to counteract this effect by lowering the strength in the dynamics tags...

Is it possible to somehow bake the dynamics in and then increasing the frame rate, or how would one solve this?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Slowing down dynamics based IK animation
on Sep 5, 2019 at 3:13:51 pm

not 100% sure but what version of C4D? Can you Bake to Alembics? That would allow you to use the Alembic Time Remapping.
Dynamics has it's own Time Scale in the Project settings but I don't know if that would be correct with dynamics combined with IK.
Otherwise this looks interesting

Return to posts index

Niklas Lange
on Sep 5, 2019 at 11:08:08 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using C4D R.20.

Unfortunately baking to alembic and time remapping does not seem to affect the dynamics, but only other position, rotation and scale keyframes that the animation contains. I've also tried to just bake the whole Null containing the object and all possible forces etc., but it again does not seem to affect the speed of the dynamic components.

I've tried the way in the video you've attached, but I seem to run into a bug (?). In order to use the time remap, I have to bake the whole animation to keyframes. Following the way in the video, the whole animation completely glitches out and the object gets distorted all over the place, as soon as I bake to keyframes. Undoing the bake does not (!) fix this, I have to completely restart Cinema4D to get back to regular dynamic behaviour.

Also, unfortunately, global dynamic time scale does not seem to affect IK based dynamics.

Return to posts index

Niklas Lange
on Sep 6, 2019 at 9:49:15 pm

I've managed to slow down the animation by completely exporting to alembic, and reimporting using a higher framerate.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Sep 7, 2019 at 3:40:17 am

thanks for the info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]