COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthias Heijnsbroek
HELP: Modeling of a 6 panel football/soccerball
on Aug 13, 2019 at 2:57:47 pm
Last Edited By Matthias Heijnsbroek on Aug 14, 2019 at 9:36:46 am

Hi guys,

A client of mine asked if I could make a 6 panel ball. Such as this one:

I need some good advice, or maybe even an already made model. Because I'm really strugling with the curve. If you think of one panel as a hourglass, then the middel (thinnest) part needs to be thinner.
I tried it using a tweaked Dodeca-Platonic:

And I tried it using a tweaked Octa-Platonic, but the problem then is that there are straights instead of all curves:

Hell I even tried making the panels flat, and tried to bend them. But that only made things deform:

It would be awesome if someone could help me. But I can understand that I might be vague, so feel free to ask for more details.

Greets,

Matthias

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
Re: Modeling of a 6 panel football/soccerball
on Aug 16, 2019 at 12:22:58 pm

I'd try to do it with a spline, spherify and some cloners:

Return to posts index

Matthias Heijnsbroek
on Aug 19, 2019 at 10:21:31 am

Thank you Frank,

I've been tweeking since I've posted this question. And got quite a bit right. But at the same time quite a bit wrong.
The model looks pretty like the real one, but when I start moving some points around in the UV-edit. It bends the texture a lot. (Because the model isn't 100% accurate)

I tried your way, and it looks prety good. But as long as I haven't an accurate model it needs tweeking, tweeking and more tweeking. But there isn't much budget and they want it to be perfect, so yeah...

Here you see how much I need to move the corners to align them with their template.
And if I try to realign the corners of the model, it doesn't work anymore with the cloner tool.

Greets,

Matthias

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Aug 20, 2019 at 6:00:46 pm

I don't have the answer but usually this "platonics" are very easy to do when you know how ☺
I would stick to the dodecahedron, get rid of the edges cutting the pentagons, subdivide once and using two penthagons for each panel. Then (maybe using "snap to spline" as a guide) sliding the points to round the "convex" and "concave" edges of the pentagon pairs, subdivide and spherify. This way you should also get a smoother and regular mesh/UV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]