MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Glass material not rendering with transparency using Prorender

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Green
Glass material not rendering with transparency using Prorender
on Aug 10, 2019 at 10:41:32 am

I've recently started playing around with Prorender but I'm struggling to find a solution for my glass material not being transparent. I placed this glass ball infant of my model so I could do some testing but nothing I've tried seems to work.

Can alone help?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Glass material not rendering with transparency using Prorender
on Aug 10, 2019 at 3:18:14 pm

by the reflections on the back it looks transparent but it's hard to tell with black on black like that, can you post the scene file?

Return to posts index

Scott Green
on Aug 11, 2019 at 3:31:43 am

Sure, here is the file.
13639_prorenderglass.zip

I thought it best to remove the main product as this is for a live project and I'm not sure the client would appreciate me sharing it at this stage, but I've left the screen graphic which has a glass object in front of it (which is how I first spotted the problem), then of course there's the glass ball in there, just so you can see whether the transparency is working or not.

Thank you.

Motion Videos UK - We are creative video designers who bring pleasure, meaning and beauty to our small world through film, motion graphics and animation.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 11, 2019 at 5:15:56 am
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Aug 11, 2019 at 5:18:04 am

interesting, I don't know a whole lot about ProRender but... - the sphere and the Glass are both transparent, I put a checkerboard on the Plane and both are see through. I guess the problem you have is the Face not showing up. It apparently disappears in the render behind the Glass but if you render it with Standard or Physical you can see the Face behind the Glass and in the sphere (you can also see a black patch in the sphere in the same place in prorender as where the better image of the Face shows up in Standard and Physical so it's working a bit).
My guess (since I don't know a lot about prorender) is this is a limitation of prorender's current implementation since they are still working on it or the tiny scale you are working at, the sphere is 0.25 cm in radius and the Glass is 0.001 cm thick. Perhaps Prorender can't work at that scale (though obviously Standard and Physical can (as can Redshift))
- perhaps someone with more prorender knowledge will know something to tweak in the renderer's settings

Return to posts index

Scott Green
on Aug 12, 2019 at 6:28:42 am

I haven't had much luck solving the transparency problem of materials but for this particular problem I've been about to add some reflection on top of the screen graphic material to give it a more reflective look without the glass object in front of it - although it's not too obvious in this render.

Motion Videos UK - We are creative video designers who bring pleasure, meaning and beauty to our small world through film, motion graphics and animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]