MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Texturing issue after changing plane to polygon/extruding

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordy Veenstra
Texturing issue after changing plane to polygon/extruding
on Aug 9, 2019 at 1:50:42 pm

My Cinema 4D Level: Novice

Currently making a 3D booklet animation for a client. The standard idea: camera slowly zooms in while the booklet slowly turns the pages on it's own to give the viewer an idea of the contents of the book. I originally made the pages with Planes and added a subtle bend effect to them. I added the textures through UWV Mapping and used the Front and back side. I did not experience any issues, the process went very smoothly.

I made a preview render and send it to the client. Feedback I received is that the book was made of thicker paper, and therefore the pages need to be thicker and don't need to bend. Deleting the bend-effect is easy, but now I want to make the pages thicker. I really did not want to re-do the whole animation as it took me one full day to prevent all the pages from clipping in and out one another and to make the animation look good with lighting and other small things, so I did the following:

I deleted the textures from a page. I transformed the plane to a polygon object. I selected all the polygons on the front of the page, pressed D and added a small extrude of 1 cm on the page to add some depth. I set the selection and called it Front. I scrubbed through the timeline. I added Create Caps. When the page turned, I selected the back polygons of the page, and made a new selection (made sure my previous selection was not selected) and made a new selection called back. I added the texture to both the front and the back. The front texture was how it was supposed to be. The back texture was indeed on the back side, but completely out of whack. I deleted the UWV tag, changed the projection to flat/cubic etc and tried to assign a new uwv tag to it, but the back page is messed up as in the fact that the texture is multiplied 50 times in small cubes throughout the page.

My question is how do I easily add some thickness to the pages of the book while keeping all the textures in tact and make sure I don't skip any polygons? Even when I select all of the polygons sometimes I still end up with some areas that are larger than the other one.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Texturing issue after changing plane to polygon/extruding
on Aug 10, 2019 at 12:34:14 am

there should not be any trouble texturing an extruded plane but it sounds like you created the caps after some steps, try extruding again but create the caps in the Extrude tool by checking Create Caps in the tool's settings

Return to posts index

Jordy Veenstra
on Aug 12, 2019 at 8:22:12 am

Hey Brian

I did it just now, and create caps is selected on default, but once I add some extrude, the back texture goes completely out of whack, as in, it is multiplied 50 times on the backside of my extruded polygon plane. Once I hit a negative extrusion number, making the extrusion go the other way, the front texture is multiplied. Do you know how I can add the depth, and have both front and back textures appearing normal again?

Return to posts index

Jordy Veenstra
on Aug 12, 2019 at 8:25:22 am

https://imgshare.io/image/7BAgl

I made a screenshot of what is happening on the back of the page after adding the extrusion effect

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Aug 12, 2019 at 3:10:08 pm

when you are extruding is Preserve Groups checked? It should be on by default but it would break exactly like you describe if it was not checked

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]