MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

curved screen

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pier filippo galetti
curved screen
on Jul 27, 2019 at 3:33:42 am

Hi everyone in this forum.

i am designing a curved video led screen of 16800, 4200, 200mm. once i designed my polygon, how do i apply a constant 2.5 degrees concave curvature to it?

i tried with the bend but i cannot make it work.

thanks

pier

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
Re: curved screen
on Jul 27, 2019 at 8:17:50 am

You can use the Bend or Wrap deformers but you have to subdivide your polygon otherwise they don't work
Corrado

Return to posts index

pier pippo
on Jul 27, 2019 at 8:31:52 am

thanks Corrado ,

what i have done so far was to increase the number of x segments, apply a bend and manually move them.
i cannot control the curve of the 2.5 degrees tho...
when you write subdivide you polygon, you mean with segments?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 28, 2019 at 2:23:45 pm

Hi Pier,

Yes, subdividing means to increase the number of segments. The more segments, the smoother the bend. The curvature of the bend is controlled by the "Strength" setting, which is measured in degrees.

13574_screenwithbend.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

pier pippo
on Jul 29, 2019 at 2:08:28 am

Thanks Jim

is it possible to apply the strength of the curve on different axis?
i cannot find the way to apply it to the x one.

thanks again

pier

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 28, 2019 at 3:27:04 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Jul 28, 2019 at 3:30:16 pm

the problem with degrees in the Bend deformer is the Strength in degrees is over the length of the bend deformer (or the bent object rather) 2.5 degrees is not much on something shaped like a modern monitor. Is that what you are after?
I wonder since curved monitors are all measured in 1800R, 3000R etc. which is the radius the monitor would be if was wide enough to make a circle in millimeters, so a 1.8 meter radius circle, a 3 meter radius circle... or is the radius of your screen so large 2.5 degrees is really correct?
If you are going for a normal computer monitor/tv and you know the R value it might be easier to add a circle spline of the correct radius and use Corrado's second suggestion and use a Spline Wrap to bend the monitor along the spline

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 28, 2019 at 6:35:01 pm

Good points Brian. Thanks for the clarification.

Return to posts index

pier pippo
on Jul 29, 2019 at 2:19:27 am

hi Brian.

i work as video technician for entertainment industry. i am looking after an australian television show at the moment.

The main LED screen is 16.8 meters long and 4.2 meters high. There 112 single panels on thins screen. 84 of them are 0.6 meters by 1.20 m, and 28 of them(the bottom row) are 0.6m by 0.6m.

those panels are hung on a customize curved pipe, which angle is 2.5 degrees. i just checked the convex joiner i am using to create the curvature, and some of them are set to 2.5 and other are set to 5 degrees, so i can follow the curvature of the pipe where the led is hanging,

i don't have, and hear, before the r value. i usually deal with custom rigging to meet client requests.

i would like to create the look of the room with c4d, a bit for fun but also because it looks better when i have to show to other crew member to give an idea of the job we need to deliver.

thanks for your inputs

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 29, 2019 at 3:39:56 am

ah, so custom stuff, then the first part is what you need. the Strength gives you the total curve along the length of the bent object, the angle rotates the curve around that (Y) axis. To answer your question to Jim (I think) you just rotate the Bend deformer so the bend's Y axis is pointing in the direction you want to bend (if your setup is fairly normal that's probably 90 in B) - assuming the bend is a child of the monitor and you have rotated the bend in the direction that will work for you then click Fit To Parent in Bend/Object.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]