Stacking textures on multiple objects

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justas Gvazdauskas
Stacking textures on multiple objects
on Jul 24, 2019 at 2:51:07 pm
Last Edited By Justas Gvazdauskas on Jul 24, 2019 at 2:53:55 pm

Hey guys!

I am playing around with creating some cool maps on C4d, however i ran in some problems making something that looks relitevely simple. So I have my map on a extrude object, water on a plane with the texture, and i want to add some sort of infographic projection like here: http://www.johnlikens.com/project/blood-road/(from 02:11) or here https://ibb.co/WcKhYgn. I am adding all my objects to a null, but aplying an alpha texture with frontal projection doesn't seem to work. Is there any other workaround to achieve this.

Thank you guys in advance!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Stacking textures on multiple objects
on Jul 24, 2019 at 4:47:44 pm
Last Edited By Brian Jones on Jul 24, 2019 at 5:41:33 pm

any texture applied to a parent object (null or not) will apply to the children unless the any of the children have a texture on them, that allows for a blanket texture on many objects but some can be special and have their own. In your case it wipes out what you are looking to do.
You can simply apply the same texture to both the map and the background (a setup like the example video) but you can't get that shadow effect where the countries lift off the background (2:13-ish). *edit* unless you can cut the bottom surface with the spline (that I assume) is the basis for the map and use Selection tags *edit*
You can apply a texture to a light (gobo) and that will give you the shadow if that's part of what you need. That depends on the strength of the lights and what your actual alpha movie is like.

13566_gobotrial.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Justas Gvazdauskas
on Jul 24, 2019 at 6:40:23 pm

Alright, thanks, didn't think about this approach. However, I am more concerned about "sticking" a texture on top of my scene, rather than extruding or lifting the shape itself(since I want to move with the camera in various angles) like so: https://ibb.co/WcKhYgn. I am attaching the example scene I am working on, so you guys can get the better understanding: 13567_test.zip The thing I want to achieve is for the red circle to be on top of everything, including the displacement of the continent. As I said I tried using frontal projection, but when I try to "Generate UVW coordinates" it screws up my displacement...

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jul 24, 2019 at 9:46:45 pm

flat mapping and using the Texture mode to line the textures up

13570_australia2.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Justas Gvazdauskas
on Jul 25, 2019 at 11:04:38 am

Yup, seems like it's the best way to achieve this. Also, I figured I can also duplicate my group of objects without the textures and apply my "infograpgics" on that with the flat UV mapping so I don't have to manually adjust texture on each object and simply render it as a seperate pass and add it on top later in compositing! Thank you for your help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]