MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Random rotation always looks unnatural

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ximon gray
Random rotation always looks unnatural
on Jul 24, 2019 at 6:53:22 am

This is something that has bugged me for years.

A really common thing I'm asked to do is create a trail of floating objects. The obvious quick solution to this is to clone them onto a spline with a keyframed offset value and use mograph effectors to add variation.

The one thing I'm never happy with is the rotation generated by effectors. You basically have two options: Random mode - will rotate a bit one way, then change direction, then stop and flip the other way again; or noise/turbulence mode which is smoother but still changes direction too much.

A real floating object with angular momentum would rotate additively on all axis. I would love a way to make all my clones rotate continuously at varying speeds without having to use dynamics.

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
Re: Random rotation always looks unnatural
on Jul 27, 2019 at 8:54:44 am

I'm not sure about what you want to achieve (also because the Random mode in the Random effector is not making the clones to rotate, just sets a random rotational position) :

1. if you want every clone to rotate at constant speed but each one with different speed you can use a Random effector with Weight Transform at 100% then a Time effector.

2. if you want the object to rotate at different speeds but always in the same direction ("additively") there's a useful little trick in Xpresso where you plug a Noise node to a user data, then plug the noise + the user data to the rotation input of the object

Corrado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]