MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

how best to rig and animate blinking eyes?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Pierson
how best to rig and animate blinking eyes?
on Jul 22, 2019 at 1:56:49 pm

Hello,

I was wondering how best to rig and animate a head mesh blink?

Imagine you had a single mesh of a head (with cut out eyes) and then separate spheres for eyes (under the mesh). What is the best method of rigging the mesh upper and lower eye lids to blink over the top of the eyes?

I've tried following -

However when I do this, the eye joints don't just rotate the upper/lower eye lids, it rotates the whole upper/lower head too - Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
Re: how best to rig and animate blinking eyes?
on Jul 22, 2019 at 2:28:11 pm

Hi,
it is because you are rotating a joint inside the head and not inside the eye.
I would discard all that joint stuff and use a sliced sphere sligthly bigger than the eye as an eyelid, then you can just rotate that sphere
Corrado

Return to posts index

James Pierson
on Jul 22, 2019 at 2:33:04 pm

Hi Corrado,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. The only issue is I'm trying apply this technique in order to make an eye blink for a dinosaur (as real as possible) so I need the upper/lower eye lids to stretch/move with the rest the face in a more natural way. So ideally I need to be able to manipulate the mesh as a whole. Any advice on how you would achieve this?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Corrado Carlevaro
on Jul 27, 2019 at 8:29:06 am

I believe that if you want to deform the whole mesh it'd be difficult with the joints.
For this small/secondary movements usually it is better to use the Pose Morph tag, where you store the mesh in "rest" position and the mesh with closed eyes (and how many intermediate positions as you want), then you have a slider to interpolate from one position to the other. The only problem with Pose Morph is that interpolation is linear, also if there is a "rotational" option, so you could have your lid intersecting the eye in mid position

Corrado

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]