MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Just out of curiosity...

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Scott
Just out of curiosity...
on Jul 1, 2019 at 3:03:06 pm

I have been using R20 for quite a while now, along with R19 (and have used C4D since R13), and have always noticed that it takes considerably longer to open and close than the previous versions. I'm talking 2 - 3 minutes to open, versus about 35 seconds for R19. Has anyone else experienced the same thing, or is it just me? I'm running Mac OS 10.11.6.

Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Just out of curiosity...
on Jul 1, 2019 at 4:46:55 pm

my experience is plugins slow any version down a lot, and the ones that go talk to the 'mother ship' for confirmation of license are the worst. I'm seeing 9 seconds for R19 (though the first launch was closer to 20 - after that is was consistent at 9) and 28 seconds for R20 (first launch was 35 seconds then 28 after). Plugins are the same for both excepting R20 has xparticles and cycles from insydium both of which have to go online and check licenses. Try pulling all plugins from both and see what you get.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Just out of curiosity...
on Jul 1, 2019 at 5:24:11 pm

Thanks Brian, I appreciate you taking the time to test launch both versions. Interestingly enough, I actually have quite a few more plugins in R19 than R20 because there are many that were never updated. And I have X-Particles and Cycles 4D installed in both. When I get a chance I will try your suggestion to remove all plugins from both and will then report back.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Follow up
on Jul 1, 2019 at 6:26:36 pm

Here are my results.

With all plugins removed:
R19: Open - 12 seconds, Quit - 3 seconds.
R20: Open - 10 seconds, Quit - 3 seconds

With all plugins installed:
R19: Open - 33 seconds, Quit - 3 seconds.
R20: Open - 2 minutes 15 seconds, Quit - 1 minute 15 seconds.

It seems that there is essentially no difference between versions when no plugins are installed, and a huge difference when all plugins are installed. And considering that there are actually fewer plugins installed in R20, it just doesn't make sense to me. Since I do have a few plugins that only work in R20 I suppose that it is possible that one or more of those could be the culprits, but if I remember correctly the issue of a much longer open and quit of R20 was present before any of those were installed. I guess I will just have to do some more experimenting.

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Follow up
on Jul 1, 2019 at 6:58:48 pm

very interesting results, the only thing that I wonder with those numbers is do you have any plugins that are only working in R20 because you have the Insydium bridge installed?

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 1, 2019 at 8:21:29 pm

[Brian Jones] "very interesting results, the only thing that I wonder with those numbers is do you have any plugins that are only working in R20 because you have the Insydium bridge installed?"

Great point Brian. I had completely forgot about those. Now that you have reminded of them I do seem to remember noticing a slow-down when those were installed. I will try removing them and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 1, 2019 at 8:38:41 pm

Well, I removed all the plugins which were using the Insydium Bridge and for both opening and quitting R20 it lowered the time about 20 seconds. That is certainly significant but still quite a big longer than R19. Since both versions seem to work just as well once running a long start-up time isn't the end of the world... just annoying.

Thanks for your tips and I will continue to experiment when time allows.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on Jul 2, 2019 at 1:11:36 am

I ran a test a while back to see which plugins were really slowing down the startup time.

Insydium Bridge WILL drastically slow down startup with certain plugins more than others.

X-Particles and Cycles 4D will cost you between 5 and 10 seconds.

Others that will add time:
V-Ray Bridge
TurbulenceFD
Curious Animal plugins

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Jul 2, 2019 at 2:03:28 am
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 2, 2019 at 2:03:56 am

Thanks for the input Sam. Your experience matches my own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]