MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Need formula for animating sound wave from a small point

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Rodgers
Need formula for animating sound wave from a small point
on Jun 29, 2019 at 3:03:09 pm

My client needs me to animate a bass frequency wave emanating from a woofer and when it reaches a person who is seated in the room, their skeleton will light up with each wave peak that strikes it. Although we know this approach will not accurately depict the waveform itself, the point is to just show that bass frequencies tend to be felt throughout the body at certain amplitudes. So, I need to just show a wave coming out and moving across the room but I need it to be small at the very beginning and within a few feet from the speaker, reach its full size and then stay there. The basic formula has the wave leaving the speaker at its full size and it looks totally wrong, so I need to have it scrunched down to 0 size on both the x and y axis when it leaves the speaker. My scene is completely setup and ready to go but does anyone know how to do this?

Also, I am wondering if anyone has any cool ideas of how to have the skeleton light up upon impact of the peak amplitude of each wave - preferably in perfect sync with its movement through the skeleton. I own X-particles 3 and was wondering if I could use that somehow. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Need formula for animating sound wave from a small point
on Jun 29, 2019 at 9:07:32 pm

what version of C4D? You should be able to control the center by using a falloff (a spherical falloff likely), easier in R20 but possible with the Falloff before.

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jun 29, 2019 at 10:53:06 pm

Thanks Brian, I am using R15

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Jun 30, 2019 at 4:29:00 pm

15, falloff in a deformer arrives in R16 I think. Before that you'd have to use vertex maps etc. I don't have access to anything older than 19 at home (moved to PC) so I had to search and found this

which leads me to think R16 is the spot and this https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/adding-falloff-to-the-bend-deformer/1550157/... which has a bit of discussion on how to get falloff in a deformer.

Return to posts index

Joe Rodgers
on Jul 2, 2019 at 1:12:52 am

Thanks for helping on this but I just decided to go a very different route.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]