MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Export shadows without the background in one render but when Render Man is used and surfaces cant be switched off.

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucas Schwartz
Export shadows without the background in one render but when Render Man is used and surfaces cant be switched off.
on Jun 26, 2019 at 6:36:26 am
Last Edited By Lucas Schwartz on Jun 26, 2019 at 7:04:15 am

Hello All,

The Goal:

I would like to export my shadows on a separate pass from a C4D project for compositing in AE.

I would like to render the project only once!

The Problem:

I am using Render Man to project textures onto the surfaces that also happen to have the shadows casted on them.
I have been through three days of research but no avail, so now I have to turn to the pros in my quest for an answer.

What I have tried so far:

The usual method to achieve separating the shadows won't work here. It would require me to to turn off the textures from the surfaces of the objects my shadows are casted on. I would then have to use an object buffer on the object that casting the shadows, then turn on multipass rendering and activate shadows along with the relevant object buffers.

That obviously won't work in my case as I don't have a background image or video but projecting surfaces onto the same objects I require to collect my shadows from using Render Man. So I need the textures on.

I could render just the projected surfaces without any scene elements to create a background video THEN turn off the texture tag on those surfaces and THEN I could collect my shadows easily. But that process would include rendering the project twice, once to create the background and once to collect the shadows.

So guys, any viable suggestions or workarounds please?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]