MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Auto connecting vertices at the same coordinates

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane Temple
Auto connecting vertices at the same coordinates
on Jun 3, 2019 at 10:29:41 pm

I have been teaching myself how to 3D model over the past month, so I am a very new user however I think I have made significant progress. I thought that I was ready to rig my character, but I had severe twisting issues when I went to adjust the position of my poles for the knees. I think that this is due to the fact that the feet are not actually "sewn" to the ankle. I'm aware that I have way too many vertex points, but I have started over 4 times and would love to avoid another redo. In the first image, the selected lines are part of what I need to connect. They share the exact same coordinates with the lines I need to connect them with. Is there a feature that I am missing that would allow all the points that share the same location to be "sewn"? Similar to the stitch and sew function, but without having to create a tiny gap and select all the points. I know that Blender has something like this, but I have never used it.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: Auto connecting vertices at the same coordinates
on Jun 4, 2019 at 3:29:10 am
Last Edited By Sam Treadway on Jun 4, 2019 at 3:35:05 am

I'm assuming the body and feet are a part of the same mesh object. If so, then with the mesh selected and while in edge mode (or point or polygon mode) deselect all elements in the viewport, then right-click anywhere within the viewport and select "Optimize..." from the menu. There is a gear icon next to the command that will allow you to adjust the optimization parameters ahead of executing. Setting the tolerance value really low (like to 0.001) will ensure that only points that are truly overlapping one another are affected.

If the feet and body are separate mesh objects, then you can combine them into a single mesh first before attempting the optimization described above. To do this, select both objects in the object manager, right-click on either of them and then choose "Connect Objects + Delete" from the menu. This will merge everything selected into a single mesh object while preserving most tags and their associated polygons through the use of polygon selection tags.

Keep in mind that with either case mentioned above you are changing the number of points and thus the point order of the mesh which ties directly to the skin weighting.

Return to posts index

Shane Temple
Re: Auto connecting vertices at the same coordinates
on Jun 4, 2019 at 2:50:03 pm

Thank you so much!! I was hunting all over the place looking for something a bit more obvious. This worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]