MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Blend mode of cloner not working with Displacer

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre Paslier
Blend mode of cloner not working with Displacer
on May 29, 2019 at 9:15:59 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to create a series of "distorted" splines that blend from one type noise to another (a bit like the Joy Division Unknown pleasure album artwork).
I think using a cloner to blend from one spline to another would work well. The splines would have a displacer effector with a few parameters for the noise set to different values for the first and last splines.
Unfortunately, it seems the cloner won't smoothly transition from spline A to B. It's creating an abrupt change from first half to second half. I've managed to create the desired effect by "baking" the splines with "current state to object", but I'd really like to be able to adjust on the fly. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,
Pierre

Effect I want:

What I get:

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Blend mode of cloner not working with Displacer
on May 29, 2019 at 11:16:38 pm

the cloner Blend mode blends parameters of objects not the effects of deformers on the object. You just need to put the displacer in a null with the cloner (since it can't be a child or the cloner will try to add it to the clones) and then set the Displacer Falloff to Linear and set it to the right size and direction to cover the clones.
This example uses R20 with the new separate Linear Field object for falloff but the same thing is possible with R19 and below you just have to move the Displacer deformer to get it where you need it.

Return to posts index

Pierre Paslier
on May 30, 2019 at 8:07:20 am

Thanks Brian, that's brilliant.
I'm on R19 but I think I got the setup you described. Been playing with it this morning, it's working super well for blending from a non deformed circle to a fully deformed circle. Cheers!

To push it further, I'm wondering if there would be a way to blend between two noises with different configurations? Or have a series of 4 or 5 morph from one noise to the other?
A bit like the attached photo (which I made with baked distorted circles)?

Cheers,
Pierre

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on May 30, 2019 at 3:47:41 pm

two noises is relatively easy you just need two Displacers in the setup (very easy in R20 since one deformer can have multiple falloff objects) each with a different falloff setup. Here's an example with two displacers and two noises (noises set to World for easy visualization)...

13385_displaceracrossclones2.c4d.zip

for the 4 or 5 noises, if that means along the length of the cloned splines it's likely possible with Box or Cylindrical falloffs. Here's a test with 3

13386_displaceracrossclones3.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Pierre Paslier
on Jun 4, 2019 at 8:24:01 am

This is brilliant! Thanks so much Brian.
I didn't know you could get that through the falloff effect in that way.
Looking forward to the weekend to play around with this. Ultimately, this is to mess around with a pen plotter, and I'm using sketch & toon to export to vectors to feed it to an Axidraw.
Gave it a first shot with your previous suggestion.

Return to posts index

jakob leue
on Jun 4, 2019 at 10:21:34 am

Did you try using effectors?
Like a combination of a shader effector with your noise(s) controlled by a plane or something.
If you haven't - check out Chris Schmidts tutorial about Effectors --> especially "weight transform".

Hope this might be helpfull!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]