MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Animating polygons out of a sphere

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Morton
Animating polygons out of a sphere
on May 26, 2019 at 5:10:47 pm

I'm stumped. I need to show a sphere containing some video frames on the surface. About 10.
I created a sphere with about 60 segments so the outside looked smooth.
Made it editable.
Selected a 4x6 polygon section and dropped on a material containing the video. Seems to be fine.
Here's the problem.
At a particular time in the animation, that "frame" has to "zoom out" towards the camera, stretching out from the cube to feature that video for a view seconds. Then, it has to shrink back to the surface of the sphere. I set a RECORD keyframe at the right spot on the timeline. Looking at the coordinates for the sphere, I see all the keyframe dots turn red. I move the timeline forward about 30 frames and, using the extrude tool, "zoom" that 4x6 section out about, so it's pushed out from the surface. Again I hit the RECORD keyframe button. Dots are red but when I go back to frame one, the frame stays put where it is. It doesn't go back to the original position on the surface of the sphere. I need to do this same thing with 8 other "frames" on the sphere. I just can't seem to make this work. Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Animating polygons out of a sphere
on May 26, 2019 at 7:09:52 pm

you can't keyframe a change in geometry usually (you are making new vertexes and edges with an extrude). You could use two objects one with the extrude and one without - Swap the objects at the right time. Or perhaps this freebie from Nitroman would do it (don't know but it looks promising) https://nitro4d.com/product/magic-mesh-3-0/

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on May 27, 2019 at 1:20:37 am

You need to do this in reverse order.

1. First, before extruding, 'split' the 4x6 polygon selection to use as a snapping reference later. The shortcut is U~\
2. Go to the frame where you want the extrude animation to stop (let's call this the 'out position')
3. Extrude the polygons out and set a key for the points (this is point level animation so no need to key parameters or PSR
4. Then go to the frame where you want the zoom to start at.
5. Select one point at a time on the extruded surface and using the snap tool, snap them to the original location (thas surface that you split off in step 1)
6. Key the points here.

*The Animation will be completely linear but you can either scrub the timeline between the two initial keys, set new keys and then move those keys to sort of fake some easing OR simply render the animation at a higher frame rate and use speed ramping in an editor.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on May 27, 2019 at 1:33:51 am

You may also want to consider pose morphing instead of explicit point level animation.
For this particular setup you described. I'd just copy the sphere, then on the first one make an extrusion with an offset of zero and then select the duplicate sphere and with the same polygon group selected make an extrusion with the offset set to whatever you like. Hide that second sphere. Then add a pose morph tag to the first sphere, set the mode to points and drag the second sphere to the bottom of the list. Then you can keyframe the slider from 0 to 100% and back and fine tune in the curve editor.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 27, 2019 at 5:26:02 pm

Hi Sam,

I had a similar thought to use pose morph, but when I followed your description only the center polygon of the selected polygons moves when the strength slider is animated. It seems that Brian is correct that extrude cannot be animated. Did you actually create a working example as per your instructions? If so, could you please upload your project file so that I could see it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rick Morton
on May 27, 2019 at 7:42:26 pm

Thanks to all. However... seems a bit over my head.
Jim... yes, I have the project but not sure how I would upload to you.
I've switched gears and trying a different way to show the same concept.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 27, 2019 at 8:25:09 pm

Rick,
Thanks, but I was responding to Sam's comments.

For future reference the easiest way to upload anything - screenshot, project file, etc. - is just to drag it into the message window.

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
on May 28, 2019 at 2:22:25 am

For the Pose morph to work you'd have to use the extrude for all variations including the original 'pose'. The main pose would simply have an extrude with the main having an extrude offset of zero. This would create polygons with a width of zero around the perimeter of the selection and cause a break in the phong shading, however. A quick workaround to that is to keep a clean version and swap out visibility when the extrusion animation begins. See the attachment for a quick example.

13375_posemorphextrusionexample.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on May 28, 2019 at 2:29:27 am

Thanks Sam. I appreciate you taking the time to make the example.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]