MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Bevel deformer splits parametric cylider

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pravin Chottera
Bevel deformer splits parametric cylider
on Apr 9, 2019 at 3:05:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with the bevel deformer on cylinders and oil tanks.

For some reason , the deformer bevels all the edges except the rim (which is what I want). On a cylinder it splits the cap off the top and bottom, and on the oil tank it doesn't bevel any edges, no matter what I set the angle threshold to.

This must be a common question, so apologies if it's been asked before. Any insight is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Bevel deformer splits parametric cylider
on Apr 9, 2019 at 11:27:06 pm

I remember something like this. I think the top and bottom of cylinders aren't actually attached the way you think they should be. I just made one editable and beveled it with the usual Create Tools bevel and got wonky results. So if that's the case once it's poly's, it's anyone's guess what's going to happen parametrically. But normally, deforms work better on polys because the parametric objects (except the cube or plane) may have different geometry depending on a number of factors that can change, until the are made editable and fixed with a certain number of polys in fixed positions.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 9, 2019 at 11:27:26 pm

Can you try a revolved object instead?

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Apr 9, 2019 at 11:47:47 pm

if the sphere is editable select all the points and run Optimize before you select the rim edges for the Bevel

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 10, 2019 at 6:33:13 pm

Thanks Brian, I had forgotten that trick. That means the "cap" of a cylinder isn't actually attached when it come out of "make editable" - at least not at all the vertexes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]