MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

How To Keyframe Green Checkmark and Red X For Visibility?

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Smith
How To Keyframe Green Checkmark and Red X For Visibility?
on Mar 31, 2019 at 12:42:42 am

Hi I'm using a field on a cloner and I need to animate the visibility of the field. I have a visibility tag on the field but even at 0% its still visible which makes no sense. The only way I've gotten it to disappear is to click the green checkmark next to it, turning it to a red x. I'm wondering is there a way to keyframe this button? Looked everywhere online.
I've seen people saying its possible to keyframe the "stoplight" looking visibility buttons but haven't found out how to actually do that either. Anyone know how to keyframe either of these? Preferably the checkmark / X. Any help much appreciated, thanks

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: How To Keyframe Green Checkmark and Red X For Visibility?
on Mar 31, 2019 at 4:29:38 pm

You can keyframe both the stoplights ("Visible in Editor," and "Visible in Renderer") and the "Enabled" setting in the Basic attributes. I don't understand what you mean by a "visibility tag" (do you mean "Display" tag?), but if you just want to turn the field on and off keyframe the "Enabled" setting. If you want to modify an effector's strength, keyframe its "Strength" setting or the specific values (position, scale, rotation, for a random effector for example) that you wish to change over time.

Return to posts index

Nick Smith
on Mar 31, 2019 at 6:26:09 pm

Oh yes, I have found the "enabled" section thanks to you. I did mean display tag, not visibility tag. And for some reason even with the display tag at 0% AND the field strength set to 0% the field is still visible when its not supposed to be. Very strange.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Apr 1, 2019 at 2:11:45 am

The "Visibility" setting in the Display tag only affects the visibility of an object when rendered. For more info, with the Display tag selected in the "Objects" menu, right click on its icon in the Attributes section and select "Show Help." And then in the Content browser select "Display Tag: Tag Properties."

I think you may be confused about the use of that tag, so the Help section should clear that up. When you write, "the field is still visible," I think that is part of your confusion, as a Display tag has nothing to do with the display of a field. Perhaps you could explain what you mean by, "animate the visibility of the field," so that I could better understand what you're trying to do.

Concerning your other question about polygon objects: The Help section for Basic Properties of polygon objects does list the "Enabled" setting, but it also says that it is for "generators, deformers and primitives" (as in, polygon objects are NOT included). I don't know why it's no longer there, if it ever was in previous versions of C4D.

Return to posts index

Nick Smith
on Mar 31, 2019 at 6:33:35 pm

Is there a reason theres no "enabled" option for polygon objects? I've experienced the same sort of thing with them too.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Apr 1, 2019 at 3:48:38 am

I think its because "enabled" means "generates something parametric". In other words, something that must be calculated. A primitive sphere has an "enable" because it is generated so that it can always be smooth no matter the resolution or size (within reason). But poly's and poly objects are the most rudimentary type of object. There's not really anything to enable. They are either visible or they aren't. Polys are just a bunch of coodinates in space while other things that can be "enabled" are equations that must be calculated so the next thing can figure out what it looks like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]