MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Trying to rig a pair of cutting shears that has two pivot points and an anchor point

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Lane
Trying to rig a pair of cutting shears that has two pivot points and an anchor point
on Mar 20, 2019 at 8:34:05 pm

Hey guys-

New to rigging in C4D. I am trying to rig a pair of spring-loaded cutting shears. The shears have two pivot points with one of the points being anchored away from the axis of rotation. I cannot figure out how to accomplish rigging to get the correct action to mimic the shears. I have tried using a constraint which works fine, but the point that needs to be anchored moves because there is nothing anchoring it. I have also tried using the IK Chain, which moves around both joints, but again nothing is anchoring the third joint to prevent it from moving. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Trying to rig a pair of cutting shears that has two pivot points and an anchor point
on Mar 21, 2019 at 2:02:48 am

While you may be able to create a hierarchy and constraints that link all of these correctly, I usually don't have the time for the migraine that ensues. So I cheat!
I use simple expresso links that allow objects that are children of other objects to have positional and rotation relationships to yet a third set of objects - even getting attributes from their children (which is the basis for an Ik chain).
This way you can have a child inherit the rotation of an object that is not its parent or grandparent or connected to it in any way - all the while being dragged around by the parent.

Return to posts index

Derek Lane
Re: Trying to rig a pair of cutting shears that has two pivot points and an anchor point
on Mar 21, 2019 at 12:20:39 pm

Thanks for the response Steve. It definitely has been a headache trying to get this to work. I will jump into Expresso and see if I can correctly match up attributes to each moving piece to get everything to work correctly. I will keep you posted!

Return to posts index

Derek Lane
on Mar 21, 2019 at 3:05:49 pm

Got it working. Jumped into Expresso and basically fudged the movement with a range mapper to limit the rotation at the second pivot point to match up with the first pivot point rotation. Then just mirrored the opposite side of the shear adding in a negate tag. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help Steve!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]