MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Shader effector issue

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Bruzek
Shader effector issue
on Mar 11, 2019 at 9:42:47 pm

Working on what I thought would be a simple and fast project (I've done this 3-4 times in the past with next to no issues). Started at 8 this morning, and for whatever reason, have yet to be done. I have looked up 3-4 tutorials, and have followed the instructions to a "T" and I'm still having issues

I simply want a shader interacting with a cloner of cubes. I created a black and white texture in AE, saved it as a sequence, (also tried with a video) applied it to a plane, added a shader, changed the shading to color and applied the texture to it, tried every projection setting in the texture, and still get random or no results. I feel like I am really close to being done, I'm just missing a setting or some such. I've included the video and image sequence I have tried in my file upload. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13196_demo.7z.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Shader effector issue
on Mar 11, 2019 at 10:40:54 pm

Your file worked for me. Here it is resaved.
Try relinking the texture in the material. It was black when I got it.

13197_demoresaved.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 11, 2019 at 10:59:49 pm

You might also want click the movie name in the material and hit the animation tab and then hit calculate. It used to be you had to tell C4D that it had more frames that just the first one.

BTW there is also lateral displacement of the cubes caused by the texture, is that correct or did you just want straight in and out.

Return to posts index

Nick Bruzek
on Mar 12, 2019 at 12:24:48 pm

I guess I am at a loss. I looked at your file, and tried your suggestions, but am still not getting any results. I've included screen caps to show my issue. The first is with the texture projection set to flat, which is what I've seen in tutorials as the proper projection setting for this kind of thing (which doesn't make sense to me because it doesn't display the text correctly) the second pic is of the texture projection set to cubic as that seems to be the only setting that displays the texture correctly , but I get pretty much the same result.

3_001.jpg

2_002.jpg

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:30:32 pm

Ah ok, by working i meant it was reacting to the texture. Try changing your falloff to linear in the shader and rotate the shader widget 90 degrees - see attached. I think this is displaying correctly but of course the coarse resolution of the blocks reduces what you can see. (I also switched the shader and material to use the luma channel to rule out any other issues)

13199_linear.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:35:38 pm

And are you aware you have blocks three deep in the y? These aren't really showing because they are on top of each other but may cause glitches in the final render where they overlap. Change the y to 1 in the clone count unless you have some use for these, or increase your Y size of the cloner array so they can separate.

And whoops - I suggested 90 degrees but in fact in that project I posted its set incorrectly to -90. Here's the corrected one and I have jacked the number of cubes so you can see that the text is coming through. (I've also taken off the chamfer on the cubes to reduce update lag, just for viewing)

13200_linear80x80.c4d.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:39:03 pm

Do you want the movie to color the blocks? Or just use it for a displacement? If the former, you have to turn color mode on in the shader and turn off the alpha strength checkbox.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:37:33 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Mar 12, 2019 at 4:39:15 pm

If I understand what you're after -- to displace the cubes vertically according to the text in the movie -- set the texture tag's Projection to "Flat," and then in Texture Mode rotate the texture -90 degrees in pitch. Below is an image of my result with a 60x60 grid of clones for more detail. Hope this helps.

(Edit: whoops... I didn't see Steve's last post until I posted mine. But we both have the same response essentially.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]