MAXON CINEMA 4D: Cinema 4D Forum Adobe After Effects Forum

Get missing font name

COW Forums : Maxon Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rainier Raydán
Get missing font name
on Mar 6, 2019 at 4:24:28 pm

Hi guys!

I'm working on a project but I dont have the font. I dont even have the font name to buy it.
Is there a way to get the font name from the original project? Like in after effect with the report textfile.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
Re: Get missing font name
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:20:50 pm

no idea, it's question you may want to ask maxon support about. I tried exporting to various formats to see if a font name was embedded in the file. If it is, it's not in readable text. Even when exported as an xml file that just gives the points that make up the font (as if it was made editable) not the font name. Which may be why when you open a project that has a font which you don't have (or don't have activated) you still see the font as it was if you don't make any changes. But no indication of what that font was...

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:33:33 pm

I just found this https://forums.cgsociety.org/t/motext-missing-font-is-info-stored-somewhere...
there is a python script referenced in the thread which might get the font (haven't tested it yet)

Return to posts index

Rainier Raydán
on Mar 6, 2019 at 10:41:46 pm

Hi!
Yes, I saw that but I don't know how to make it work... I've execute it but it shows me a console error. Maybe I'm doing it wrong....
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 7, 2019 at 4:04:10 am

hmmm old python, I don't know enough python to know what's changed, I've started trying to deconstruct it (and can make it tell me the font by brute force - and I don't yet know if it will show the old font or whatever's in the font chooser if it's not there - and there are obvious differences between the Mac at work and the PC at home, which is a relatively new thing and I haven't done much font based stuff since the switch) but not properly yet. Out of time for now will test more tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Rainier Raydán
on Mar 7, 2019 at 9:21:11 am

Thanks! I really appreciate it :)

Return to posts index

Brian Jones
on Mar 7, 2019 at 11:28:23 pm

ok this seems to work for me, it has no error checking at all - you need to select a font using element (I have tested the text spline and a MoText object) and then run the script.
One thing that shows during testing is if you drop a Text Spline in and run the script nothing happens and if you drop a MoText object in and run the script it returns "None". But with either object, if you then change the font to something other than the default font, the script then returns the font name. C4D obviously does not save the font name to the file until it is 'set' to something other than the default. So I guess if you are opening a project that was saved without ever making a font choice and just running with the default it's not going to work. Otherwise, it works in my limited testing.

13190_fontfind.py.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]